Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi Alexa'smom and Everyone:
Does anyone have some ideas on raising an only child so that they have similar experiences as those raised with siblings?
For example how does someone that is raising one child teach to think of others before themselves? What intentional things can a parent do?
What are some ideas for teaching sharing and the give and take that would be similar to growing up with siblings? I think we have some really creative parents here and I look forward to hearing your ideas on this topic.
Thanks.
Oh I would love to see something on this topic.
We moved out of state away form family when my son was two, he is now foru, and friends for all of us have not come easy, so aside form school he hardly see's any other kids.
Advertisements
One of the things I do with my daughter and have since she moved in at age 7 is have her do volunteering with clients I work with that are mentally retarded. I was not so sure how she would do but it is great and she also has a great self esteem booster. She can do something for someone else. Maybe check and see if there is a home or school for mentally retarded or Special Olympics. Alot of agencies will let children volunteer if the parent is going to be there. We also volunteered for an animal rescue group and found homes for kittens/cats. Beware the animal thing she wanted to keep them all untill I had her activly helping me take care of them and she saw how much work it was everyday.
I'm not sure having a brother taught me to think of others before myself! Seems to me it taught me get mine before he took it....:-)
Seriously, I think teaching children to think of others is something you do every day. When I tell my daughter not to throw food, I say "Because it makes more work for Mama to clean it." When we read a story I point out how the actions of one character make the other characters feel.
We have two dogs in addition to our daughter and they provide a learning experience too ("The dog would like to take a nap now, because he's sleepy, so you shouldn't bother him."). They also draw our focus away from her so she gets used to us having other priorities.
Get them involved in programs with other kids.
Play groups
story hour
music/dance groups.
These are all things that you can do when they are under 1 and when they are older.
Have them see you donate your time and give to the needy etc...
I think it is what all children see from their parents and as well as what they experience.
I'm and only child and so is our daughter. I feel like these were some of the things my parents did with me and what we plan (and are)on doing with our daughter.
Sharing is a big thing though......there is a difference here since only children do not have to do this on a daily basis. So it's something that needs to be practiced whenever possible in my opinion.
Advertisements
Sabra
Hi Alexa'smom and Everyone:
Does anyone have some ideas on raising an only child so that they have similar experiences as those raised with siblings?
For example how does someone that is raising one child teach to think of others before themselves? What intentional things can a parent do?
What are some ideas for teaching sharing and the give and take that would be similar to growing up with siblings? I think we have some really creative parents here and I look forward to hearing your ideas on this topic.
Thanks.
Being an only child doesn't mean a child won't be able to share. In my opinion, it's either the makeup or personality of a child or what a parent teaches a child.
There are plenty of siblings who are stingy and don't share at all. Having siblings doesn't make a person considerate or able to share. If that was the case, this world would be a whole lot nicer.
Siblings might share only because their parents force them to, but that doesn't mean that they want to or like to share, whereas an only child might share because they want to share -- without being forced.
Plus, some siblings might feel resentful being forced to share with siblings, and this might be the reason for sibling rivalry. Some siblings might share when they're small, but when they get older and move out on their own, without the threat of parents forcing them, they may have the attitude that they shared with their siblings because they were forced to, but once they grow up, they will not share with anyone. It actually couldl make them more territorial about their belongings.
Or some people might ONLY share with siblings and no one else.
So, I think it's more in a child's genes or personality to determine how sharing or considerate a child is, even if you teach them.
For example, identical twins, one twin might be considerate, caring, and likes to share, and the other twin could be inconsiderate and stingy. Obviously, the twins are each other's siblings and were even raised in the same household by the same parents, but that doesn't guarantee that they both will be considerate and like to share, as is the case with many siblings. Not all siblings are the same, and not all only kids are the same.
Some siblings might never learn how to share.
I have cousins whose parents always brought them their own toys and even food.
Also, sharing does not have to be done every day. No one shares every day.
As for the only child not having siblings to share with, what about only kids sharing with classmates, neighborhood kids, their parents, cousins, and friends?
Does it have to be siblings? Does sharing only count if it's siblings or does being around other kids, like, cousins and friends count, too?