Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi Everyone:
There are lots of adoption related books. Please tell us if you have read any.
Please tell the following:
1. The title and author.
2. Why you did or did not like the book?
3. What you did or did not like about the book?
4. Did the book help you in some way?
5. Would you recommend the book to others for their reading?
Thanks everyone. Please post as much as you can. Books are valuable resources and can help us understand people and situations in life.
Please feel free to politely tell us about books you are reading or would like to read.
If you think that there should be more books available about a particular aspect of adoption please feel free to share what types of books you would like.
Thanks. We all learn from each other and your input is valued.
Hi Cindy:
Thanks for sharing about the book entitled "Hello, Aibek." It sounds like a great book to learn about a parent's experience in international adoption. It is great to think that an adoptive parent can tell about their experience with enough detail to fill a book! That is great.
Do you know where this book can be purchased?
Is it a fairly new book?
Thanks.
Advertisements
This book is by Jean Lifton. I can tell you with her being a PHd. I was not impressed with the psychology text book style of reading. I had heard this book was a good read, but honestly I found it boring and hard to follow. Normally I do not mind text book styles, but this one I was hoping would be more personal.
What I need to find is a book about being adopted but not finding out till I was an adult. Any suggestions??
Hi StarryNight
Thanks for your input regarding that book.
Here is a link to article on Late Discovery Adoptees.
[url]http://library.adoption.com/Adult-Adoptees/Identity-Theft-and-Recovery/article/2811/1.html[/url]
Does anyone know of a book that covers Late Discovery Adoptees?
If we do not hear from anyone I can consult an expert that I know.
Thanks again StarryNight!
Warm regards,
You are very welcome. I hope we can found out something too. It seems so many have known since they were little/always known. It irks me to no end that I did not learn until my middle 30's. But I am not as bad off as some in our forums. Thanks for your help. I will look at that article in a few.
We purchased
Adoption is a family affair by Patricia Irwin Johnston
from Amazon.com
I gave a copy to my parents and my in-laws. After being married for 12 years and no babies, the grandparents needed this book. They were to be grandparents, but not how they had thought. We were very concerned about how they would react, given their "help" with our infertility issues.
This book covers it all. Nicely, and more tactfully than I could. There are chapters on why the parents may not want to discuss all the details of an abused child's history or their special needs with family members. It talks about how grandparents need to reflect on what's important. A baby born to the family, or being a grandparent to a child who needs their love.
I highly reccomend this book. My husband and I read it and found it to be familiar to what we were already experiencing. We found that its true use, was to bridge the gap for extended family who didn't have 1st hand experience with adoption.
It even addressed the myth well now that you have adopted you'll be pregnant in 6 months...
Well worth the expense!
Advertisements
I am hoping any of you can help me. I watched a few years ago the 20/20 on adoption and they interviewed Dr. Tim Johnson from abc and he had written a book on raising his adopted son. It sounded like an amazing book and for the life of me I cannot seem to find any information on it. I have searched the web---looked at Barnes and Noble. Unfortunatly I do not know the title. Has anyone heard of it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Deb
Mom of Kaelee and now Zach :)
As a self-avowed bibliophile, some of my recent reads have been:
"Being adopted-The Lifelong Search for Self" by David M. Brodzinsky, PhD., et al.
Great book that is easy to read and digest; Interesting to read the authors' views on how adoption affects the adoptee throughout the lifespan, not just in childhood or adolescence. Fans of Erik Erikson's psycho-social stages will appreciate this book. Dirck Brown, Ed. D., co-author of Clinical Practice in Adoption and Vice President of the American Adoption Congress writes: "Being Adopted provides a unique understanding of how adoption is truly a life experience. This book is must reading for all members of the adoption triad and the general public, lay and professional".
"The Primal Wound" by Nancy Verrier Newton
I did not agree with all of the author's assertations but nevertheless an interesting and thought-provoking book.
Adoption Healing ... a path to recovery by Joe Soll
I found this book to be a very validating one for the disgruntled adoptee looking for more perspectives of why the adoption experience seems so tough.
I have much more to feel down about that i did before i had picked up the book. It is a very tough read which opens up alot of years of ones life, up to and including birth.
I am only half way through yet have not found anything to deal with the Birth father issues. It mainly has wrapped around the Birthmothers and the babies separation pains.
I recommend this to Aparents to get an idea of the mental challenges an adoptee faces which would remain invisible otherwise.
Colin
I also just finished reading "The Waiting Child" by Cindy Champanella. I don't think I have ever cried so hard at a book. It was heart-wrenching and uplifting at the same time. I read it in two nights and stayed up past 1:00am both nights just to get through it. I couldn't put it down. Since my DH and I are adopting from China, it made me want to get my little girl even quicker. The things some children must endure in orphanages is heart-breaking. It is so wonderful that that child was able to provide and know how to love when she herself had felt very little of it in her young age.
I would recommend it definitely to anyone adopting from China and anyone who just wants to read a wonderful true story about the power of love in children. It really can work miracles.
Advertisements
Just finished a wonderfully couldn't put it down book called They Cage the Animals at Night. It's about a boy who is in and out of orphanages and foster care, the abuse and neglect and his strong will. Though I cannot relate either way, I still loved this book.
Hi all it will be my first time reading adoption stories.is it possible to find any of the books mentioned above at the library?anyone have an good ones i should check out?
Hello everyone, I read 'Another Place At The Table' a month ago and truely love it. I am now looking to buy it to read a few more times at a slower pace. The author is Kathy Harrison and it is dated 2003. I was a little shocked at reading some of the things she had in counter but at the same time, I am a little more prepared. I hope you like it as much as I did.
Hi everyone.If you have a minute,take time to check out my newly published children's book .You can access the site from homepage on the profile page.
Thanks.Let me know what you nthink of the book.
Stone
adoptive mother of two daughters
adoptee
Advertisements
Hi everyone:
This question was posted in 2003 and people replied through 2005. I have found people's responses so interesting and I would love to see this question picked up again if people are willing.
I have also recently posted to the "research and surveys" section of the forums with an invitation to participate in my thesis survey in regard to what parents think of children's literature with the subject of adoption or with multicultural themes. If you would like to participate, click here: [URL="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=746832657565"]http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=746832657565[/URL]
Thank you!
Sincerely,
Emily McLaughlin
The adoption books for parents that I recommend are:
1. Attaching in Adoption by Deborah Gray
2. A Child's Journey Though Placement by Vera Fahlberg
3. Adopting the Hurt Child by Gregory Keck and Regina Kupecky
4. Parenting the Hurt Child by Gregory Kecky and Regina Kupecky
5. Adopting the Older Child by Claudia Jewett
6. Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft by Mary Hopkins-Best
7. Telling the Truth to Your Adopted or Foster Child by Jayne Schooler
Christine Mitchell