Advertisements
Advertisements
Apparently in NYS the only way to have identifying information is in the event of some medical emergency? This confuses me - basically this means that there is no possible way to ever recieve my identifying information. I do not really have a solid understanding of the whole legal issue surrounding the sealing of records in NYS, but I assume that the records are sealed to 'protect' the privacy of birthparents. To me, this is insensitive, immoral and selfish -- I completely understand and respect the privacy of birthparents, but at the same time I am angered that I am denied my rights to know who I am. What about adoptees? Apparently the state didn't consider how sealing records would affect us. If records are sealed without the possibility of being released for 99 years, that means I will never have access to them, which also means that I have hit another dead end. I recently tried to contact the lawyer that handled the finalization of my adoption to see if he could provide any insight into the process of petitioning the court for record release, and part of me is still hopeful, but I feel like the state's lack of sensitivity and awareness towards adoptee's and their right to their information will prevent me from continuing my search.
Hello Nicole...funny thatis my name as well. I am in the same boat as you. The courts have me brith records, and I have searched for and contacted my birthmother via the court system where I live, but she denied contact...
I respect her rights as well, but I think it is unfair--as you mentioned to retain that information--and likely die with it--when I want to know where I came from and who I am related to.
I had a great life up til this point, and I love my adoptive family more than I can say...but I need closure and info about my beginnings and heritage.
I was also going to contact the lawyer who filed my adoption decree, but he is no longer practicing--his son is though, and that might help.
Did you get anywhere?
Nicole
Advertisements
NY state's Registry is a "mutual consent" registry.
when you register with them you SHOULD register for both
Identifying and Non-Identifying information.
The identifying information will ONLY be released to you, IF they have already registered + sign a waiver sent to them by NYS telling them Yes, they do want contact and to release their name to you. (and they can always change their mind at the last minute. It happened to a couple friends of mine).