Advertisements
Advertisements
I thought I would let you know that we went to court for custody, to adopt our foster son on 03/16/04. We lost. Even though, my husband and I own our own home, have insurance and good jobs. We are able to take care of his needs and know them best since he's lived with us 2/3 of his life. Hes just 3 years old. We are the only Mom & Dad he knows. We love him exactly like he is our own child. We were clearly the parents in his best interests.
We lost because the IA code reads a viable family placement, comes first. The judge ruled that his aunt who has had no personal relationship with the child, except for a few recent visits, is unmarried, divorced because she became pregnant from a boyfriend, has a child, has been living on welfare, has a part-time job, moves on average every 18 months, lives with a boyfriend who is behind in his own child support, she can't afford to adopt him, has no insurance, etc. Obviously the law needs clarification & change. Don't you believe that the child's best interest should come first? That if someone from the family wants custody they should be able to provide for their own children's needs, at least, before the state awards them another child? This shouldn't have happened. This child will never be given a stable life or love. He is merely a paycheck for her. We aren't through with this. We will be contacting everyone we can think of. It's terrible how little DHS and Iowa law cares about children.
Don't give up does this child have a Gaurdian at Liedam? I'm not sure how to spell it but it's an attorney to represent the best interest of the child? If so get them involved and completely inform them...Don't give up!! I live in Pa. and I know what your going through..our county here is horrible..no regards for the children..Have you Fostered this child all this time? What is the agencies view...all I can tell you is don't give up!!! I'll keep you in my prayers...please write more..maybe I can share more of what I know..I don't know if it will help, but I do know what your going through.
Advertisements
Payton's mom..
I just wanted to say how sorry I am about your son.. You will be in my prayers...
Cathy:(
I'm thinking they want to prolong the adoption because they don't want to give up thier funding source just yet. :)