Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
so it's just acceptable for a kid to be on the streets with no one to be their family? what if their parents never looked for them? they're supposed to just fend for themselves? that's total bs! that's wrong. no wonder there are so many street kids- no one's allowed to care for them legally. something needs to be improved- it's not right that social services can take kids from loving families but also won't place street kids with families. what do you do when you're 13 and left home a couple years ago because of abuse? your folks never looked for you, you're doing all sorts of crappy things to survive. you can't get a home because your abusive parents didn't terminate their rights to you?!
my fiance's adopted parents drove him to runaway at almost 9 years old and never looked for him. he basically raised himself. that's so wrong and unfair.
ok so my next question is- exactly how much trouble can you be in for taking in a street kid? for caring for someone until they are able to care for themselves?
if you know of a child who is living on the street then you should contact child protective services. they will find a apropriate placment for the child.
Originally posted by azurelupe
ok so my next question is- exactly how much trouble can you be in for taking in a street kid? for caring for someone until they are able to care for themselves?
No, it is never acceptable for a 13 year old to fend for themselves, at anytime, ever. But how much trouble can you get in for taking in a runaway? Well, good question. I'm sure your intentions are 100% of heart and of wanting to do the right thing. But you might get charges pressed for harboring a runaway. Or worse...kidnapping. (Trust me...13 year olds always tell tall tales!) Bottom line, you are not that child's parent, no matter how much you feel for him/her. If you want to do the right thing, then that is 1) Letting the police know the whereabouts of that child. 2) Regardless if the parents (does not matter if the parents are adoptive or not) but make contact with the parents. 3) Get the kid back in school. 4) Get help for the child. Seek couseling, state assistance, etc. If you feel very compelled to help, become a foster parent. From the sound of your post, I'm thinking there is a particular child in mind. How about becoming a Big Sister or mentor to that child? Or just a trusted adult that he/she can turn to? Good luck to you!
Originally posted by JadedSaint
1) Letting the police know the whereabouts of that child. 2) Regardless if the parents (does not matter if the parents are adoptive or not) but make contact with the parents. 3) Get the kid back in school. 4) Get help for the child. Seek couseling, state assistance, etc. If you feel very compelled to help, become a foster parent.
1. in my fiance's situation, the police new he was on the streets but didn't care. they arrested him as a kid more than once but didn't place him anywhere or direct him to the correct places.
2. again in his situation, his parents basically threw him out. he ran at almost 9, and they never looked for him ever. they drove him away by telling him at almost 4 that he was adopted and they didn't want him anymore. then they made him feel like crap for most of the time he was there until he left (he'd been adopted at birth).
3. if we did become foster parents, could we homeschool for a bit of time? we don't have to be perfect people to foster do we?
4. it might sound strange, but what if s/he doesn't want his/her parents to find them? like if they tell where they are, it could put them in danger again with the family.
hmmm looks like i'll have to go through foster parent training afterall, which i've wanted to do for years :) what happens if you do training in one state then move a couple years later? do you do different training for each city even in the same county?
Advertisements
an average of 1,000,000 kids under 21 on the street each year, 650,000+ doing illegal things under age 16 to survive, and too much red tape to be able to help them. :(
If you are aware of a specific child contact child services. You can follow the case, and let them know you want to be involved. If you just want to help a child who was/is homeless, then the state foster care system is still who you contact. Many of the children in the system were on the street for some amount of time. My daughter talks about living in the shelters, and Happy Momma Anna's daughter lived in a shopping cart, , which implies homelessness.You can also get involved in programs that help the children without adopting them.