Advertisements
Advertisements
The Marian Residence: An Unwed Mothers Home in Henderson, Nevada
Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada opened an unwed mothers home in Henderson, Nevada in 1971. It was called: Marian Residence. A 6,000 square-foot ranch house with a Mexican-tiled pool, set back from the street in a quiet neighborhood.
Right next door, with the properties separated by a wooden footbridge, was Regina Hall, a home for troubled teenagers.
- Do we have any birthmothers on list here that were residents of the Marian Residence?
- Do we have any adoptees on list here that were Henderson born and placed through Catholic Charities?
I would like to learn more about the Marian Residence, and the girls who lived there for a time.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warmest Regards,
Jean
Hi Jean,
I was born in Henderson in 1957. Do you know if there was an unwed mothers home in Henderson back then? Thanks, Laura
Advertisements
Dear Laura,
Jean here. As best I can tell, the Marian Residence was in operation by 1971. But I haven't yet learned when it opened, exactly. Hoping others here on list can add to our research base.
Nevada Open members are working to get some photographs of the home, and hope to find media interest for a story to run in the local paper in early October, for Reg Day 2004.
Stay tuned!
If you have not yet joined Nevada Open, a grassroots membership to lobby the state legislature to open records to adult adoptees, come join us!
[url]www.nevadaopen.org[/url]
We have several Henderson born adoptees in our membership! So we have quite an interest in learning more about the Marian Residence.
Warmest Regards,
Jean
Nevada Open featured the Marian Residence for RegDay '04. If folks were born or relinqiushed in Henderson, you may want to come take a look:
[url]http://www.nevadaopen.org/marian.html[/url]
We believe St. Rose de Lima was the primary hospital used for delivery. We have an archived pic there too.
If you were born there, and later adopted, please let us know the name of the physician on your amended birth certificate. We are finding a very short list, as others share their infomation and we get a clearer picture of that home and its operations.
Enjoy!
Warmest Regards,
Jean
HI Grace, I was a resident of Marian Residence in 1987. Am looking for others that were there at that time. Have you heard from any?
In 1979 I was 16 and pregnant. My stepmaother sent me to The Marian House. I didn't stay long, but I remember it well.
Advertisements
I was in Marian Residence in 1987. At that time we had 12 girls ranging in age from 14-18. Also at that time Regina Hall was not next door it was on the other side of Boulder a few blocks away. We did some things with the girls from there, dinners, homework, outings etc. There wasn't a pool at that time & we attended Basic High School. St Rose de Lima was the hospital used for all of us. The experience I had there was the best I think it could be for me. We had a real family atmosphere & there was alot of support I felt, when it was time for a girl to leave we always had a special going away party & I still have the photos & cards people gave me from that time. I of course like everyone that was there have mixed emotions, one day I want to put it all behind me & others I want to reconnect with the people I met. I was just hoping to find others to relate to.
Hi I am looking for my birthmom and know the post is from awhile ago but was wondering if any of you went to this Marian house in Henderson. I am sure my birthmom went there but can't find any information. If you know of anyone with the last name hunt when u went there in 1987 or 1988.