Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Hi Tancee,
Here in Michigan - especially with FIA in Macomb county - they go through you with a lice comb....rumor has it that it has been 26 years since a foster parent 'fell through the cracks.' After what we went through, I tend to believe it!
I won't bore you with the details, but lets just say that my husband was a saint and I had a rather colorful past. Even though I had kept my nose clean for the past 8 years, they did a back ground check on me that went as far back as my senior year in high school, people I was married to, and every state I had lived in. I wasn't too worried, for I had never done anything criminal. However, I did not expect some of the things that FIA seemed to have problems with.
They dug up things I didn't even know that I did! And every red flag meant more time stalled. Even though I was able to hurdle through every thing they pulled out of their bag of reports, I have to admit I bounced between being really annoyed , fustrated, to down right angry and hurt. There were days I wanted to give up, and there were days I wanted to get right in their face and say "Do you wish me to count and report back to you the squares of toliet tissue I use?"
We ended up having to pay out of our pockets ( which was $1000) for doctor notes and mental evaluations! Now don't get me wrong...I understand why they have to do this...but to the extent they went on our licence...well, it just boardered on harrassment.
It took us a about a year, from the start of classes to the day we ended up with that much fought for license. And within weeks, we got three foster boys - long term.
I did not tell you all this to discourage you. Just the opposite. If they do send up red flags on the background checks they do on you, (like bankrupcy, questionable acts, multipul marriages or depression, etc) and YOU know that it is nothing to worry about, keep fighting! Keep plugging on! Keep at them that you would be a terrific foster parent! Bite back the pride and ask the license worker what exactly do they need for you to prove you are on the right track now, and you are serious about fostering.
I didn't answer any questions, but I hope I gave you some hope! Good luck and hang in there!