Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm looking to adopt a child from the Urkaine. Is it better to learn Russian or Ukrainian? Can anyone recommend a set of tapes to listen to in order to learn the language?
Any input would be appreciated!
I don't know which is better to learn, but I have had good results learning Russian from "PIMSLER's RUSSIAN" CD's easy to learn, I used them in the car on the way to and from wok 30 minutes a day and I feel comfortable learning Russian... on to level 2!!!
( I purchased them from AMAZON.COM) about $30
Advertisements
Hello, I'd like to post my opinion in regard of Russian or Ukranian language to study prior/during adoption of a child from Ukraine. If the kid is from Kiev or any other big city, he/she would speak and understand Russian; if the child is from a rural area or some small town, he/she would rather grown in Ukranian language environment.
About the way of study Russian or any other foreign language, I believe it's great to have a native speaking person next to you; maybe even some foreigners will "barter" their language services in exchange of speaking English - because many of us are willing to improve our skills, too.
You may want to learn Ukrainian. Your documents will be in Ukrainian and the court proceedings will be, too. Many children in Ukraine's orphanages now are Ukrainian speaking. Since independent nearly all preschools and elementary schools in cities are in Ukrainian (with the exception of parts of Crimea and Donetsk). Also, there are many cities in Western and Central Ukraine where Ukrainian has always been spoken widely, particularly since people are no longer afraid to lose their jobs if they speak their native language.
There are resources for learning Ukrainian:
[url]http://www.yevshan.com/main.asp?cid=5[/url]
I am 28 years old, and I lived at Ukraine 27 from them.
If your baby is not from Western Ukraine - study Russian. Ukraine is divided very much, especcialy now to Western part (Lvov is center) , where most people speak Ukrainian, and Eastern part, where most people speak Russian.
As Maryna says, the language the children are used to speak most of the time may depend on whether a child will come from western Ukraine or the eastern part, or Crimea... nevertheless, I'd consider Ukrainian to be the best choice.
During the last years the government has put some effort in making the people speak Ukrainian, as many Ukrainians considered themselves having been Russianized in the past.
When I came to Simferopol (Crimea) in 2009, every street sign, every document and everything official or public was written in Ukrainian (because it had to be by law) - although the vast majority of the people there spoke Russian as their native tounge, as Crimea belongs to the more "Russian areas". Thus I assume it might be possible that Ukrainian is likely to be the standart language in many orphanages.
Nevertheless, every Russian I met was able to speak Ukrainian fluently and many of them considered this to be self-evident, as they're Ukrainian citizens. Despite of their Russian heritage, all the people I was asking about that told me they'd see themselves as Ukrainians. Lots of them also made clear that they feel a strong national pride for Ukraine, not for Russia.
The "real" Ukrainians, furthermore, often showed to me that they're not happy about the status of Russian language, that they'd wish for Ukrainian to be the only national language. Some Ukrainians even feel offended if foreigners (or anyone else) just start talking to them in Russian, self-evidently expecting that they'd speak it.
This is often considered as a kind of arrogance, it's similar with Germans expecting everyone in the Netherlands to speak German - the "smaller" country feels insulted, it's kind of "Why do they expect us to speak their language whilst we're in our country?! Just because they're the bigger and more powerful nation?" Things like that I got to hear quite often.
Especially if you wish your kid to stay able to speak the language of his/her country of origin and put some effort in keeping it up for later being able to travel to Ukraine etc., Ukrainian will make it much easier for her/him to be accepted as an Ukrainian (at least a bit) by others.
And last but not least, Ukrainian officials may react negatively if you address them in Russian.
Advertisements
[URL=http://www.rosettashop4u.com/]Discount Rosetta Stone[/URL] has software for learning Russian , which is attached with audio materials, and you will speak Russian rapidly by using this tool.
Hi i know both Russian or UkrainianIs but as i have fealt in this that Ukrainian is easy one then Russian to learn..
and i have somthing related to Is it better to learn Russian or [URL="http://www.thehouseofoojah.com/ccp0-prodshow/teach-yourself-ukrainian-audio-book-cd.html"]Ukrainian[/URL]