Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi :) We are in the process of adopting a sibling group of three from Texas and will be negotiating the subsidy at any time now. I want to make sure that I am informed of anything I need to know before this.
Our family will definately need a subsidy and of course since this is a sibling group, I know the kids will qualify. I want to know what I can expect from the negotiation. What amounts should we expect? Does Texas give a cost-of-living increase periodically? Any experiences or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We hate to even have to think of money when we are just so excited to get these kids home! But I'm a stay-at-home Mom (which was very important to the workers who chose us) and we have three bio. kids. We want to be able to provide for the kids' needs and continue being able to do the fun things that we currently try to do like lessons, travel, etc. Possible orthodontics worries me more than just about anything. I realize the kids will have a PA medicaid card, but I haven't been able to find any orthodontist that accepts it. Our insurance (very good in other ways) doesn't cover it at all. Does Texas medicaid typically cover orthodontics? I wonder if it's possible to put a stipulation in requesting help with orthodontics?? The kids are in Region 3 if this matters at all.
Thank you in advance for all of my questions :)
Hi! We are in Georgia and are adopting a group of 4 from TX. I would like to know the same thing. Also, have you got your ICPC approved yet? That's what we're waiting on. How long does that take? Cindy
Advertisements
Hi, we adopted our 3 over a year ago and have been through the subsidy negotiations. We are in Region 8. The state of Texas has a max amount for the basic level. By this I mean children who don't require extensive therapy, treatment or medical care which is not covered by medicaid. Children who do require those services, and if the particular services are not covered by medicaid, the monthly subsidy will be a little higher.
The max is $500. For us, we were given $300/mo per child until the age of six. At six, the amount increases to $500/mo per child because they are now of school age. this amount continues until the age of 18.
College is paid for by the state under state law.
Medicaid is included as part of the agreement until the age of 18 even if you have private health insurance. Your social worker should guide you through the filling out of the application and review it with you prior to submitting it for approval.
You will not get reimbursed for items you purchased to get ready for the child(ren) such as clothes, cribs, carseats etc.
Medicaid will only pay for orthodontics if the dentist feels it is medically necessary. Cosmetic orthodontics are not considered essential and are not covered. This may change but for the time being, if braces are for cosmetic purposes, medicaid won't pay.
I totally understand how you feel right now. We didn't want to rock the boat either but our social worker told us not to be afraid because child care is expensive! :)
Oh yeah, add that into the worksheet as well. Even if you plan to stay at home, get a price quote (in writing on letterhead) from an area daycare or child care center to submit with your application. We were advised to do this because it is taken into consideration with the subsidy. Without it, you will get less $$. I am also a SAHM and we have only my husband's income (which we get by with because we feel it's important to be home with the children while they are young and for as long as possible).
After your social worker submits your application, you will get a call from someone who will briefly go over your app and will give you an amount (per child). You can either accept or reject. If you reject, you will follow a course of action to have the application reviewed again and continue negotiations. We didn't do this. We felt that the amount we were getting was fair (even if it didn't even cover the full cost of daycare per child) and it will increase when they get older.
Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk more via email or have more questions.
Depending on the ages you are getting, there are ways to make the money stretch and qualify for other things. Good luck!
One more thing, I don't know if there will be changes to any of what I've written above with the overhaul of CPS by the governor. Check the website and read all you can as well as talk to your social worker. Be honest with him/her. None of us are the first parents to feel both embarassed to be asking about money but concerned about making sure we have enough to care for our children at the same time. It's such a awkward thing isn't it??
--Emmy
I just noticed that both posts are from out of state. I don't know if the rules will be the same regarding college. That's something to ask about. I think the college is paid for Texas colleges/universities but it may be paid for children who were adopted out of Texas but attend school out of state. Check the website for more info and ask your social worker. Hope I don't sound like a broken record. :D
I know this is an old post but I noticed some differences in what we are seeing and being told now from Region 3. College even in Texas state is NOT covered and all expenses up to $1500.00 per child including, cribs, carseats, and even remodeling were just reimbursed to another family who finalized this month in our area and we are out of state.
We got our 4 small grandchildren in Sept 08 from CPS. Termination set for April and we are to adopt. At least that is the plan. Our main CPS worker has told us that they are asking for termination with them conservator managership but judge may opt to terminated and give us the managership but if that happens we won't get any further assistance. But, the CPS worker that comes every month says that there are subsidies available that we should get as even though they are our grandchildren we still got them from CPS and they qualify as a sibling group. We are in TX as they were when we went and got them. We are trying to avoid a lawyer as we really don't have the money. We both work but it takes what we make just to get by and when the Medicaid and the day care assistance leaves we will really be hurting. What kind of help can we continue to get?Help with Adoption? Can adoption occur same time as termination? Please help. thanks!
Advertisements