Advertisements
Advertisements
I think my thought here is premature but it's been onmy mind so just want to sound it out with you all. I live in a community that is CC dominate but certainly not exclusively so, however it's also a huge adoption state and I saw a statistic recently that we have one of the largest international adoption communities. My baby is AA and I've been meeting other people who are adopting. Was at a restaurant the other day and the hostess wound up sitting with me and my two daughters after the meal telling me aobut her pending adoption (1/4 AA, 1/4 CC, 1/2 Hispanic). I also met a lady through my mother's office who is adopting from Guatamala, as well as a good friend of mine adopting from China. All of these babies are within 6-7 months in age from each other - mine's the only one here yet.
So shall I get to the point? A commonality for these children is that they are transracial adoptees to primarily CC families (my husband is NA as is our older daughter). I know babies don't "play" but I'd love to plant a seed that we should form a monthly playgroup. They may not all look like one another but I'm thinking that there could be real value. And at what age would we start. I'm thinking that talking about it now even if we don't do it for sometime because people move on and I might not know how to track people down later.
Advertisements
joskimo, what a gorgeous baby. I'm in NJ and would LOVE to start a transracial adoption playgroup! I think it would be great to start your group as soon as all the kids get here. Even if they are babies, they can become aquainted to each other and get used to seeing different colored faces. AND you and the other mothers can talk and relate to each others stories, fears, joys. I think it would be great. I wish I knew how to start something in my area.
If you want to I can give you access to my newly started group and you can see how I structured it. I only have 5 members right now but it has just been less than a month since it began. Email me at jessica_hartog_smith@yahoo.com if you want to sign in or discuss further.
thanks for the input. I did talk to the one adoptive mother that I"m closest to yesterday, she's adopting from China w/ a June travel. She was all for it, and as she said, play groups are nice, but being an adoptive mother is different and it would be nice to have mom's to relate to. Jessica, I'll email you for your information. Also, one lady I only met because I was ina restaurant where she worked and she sat down to tell me about her adoption. So I don't know her name or anything but thought I'd go back and try to track her down, that's not stalker like is it??