Advertisements
Advertisements
I am curious to hear feedback from all, especially social workers.
We are close friends with an amazing foster family who have cared for a little boy (age 2) for 6+ months. Our families are close, we've spent much time with this little guy and have grown to love him.
Bio Mom and Dad have addiction issues that I genuinely hope they overcome. They have lost other children permanently and nobody is sure whether they'll be able to get it together for the sake of this little guy.
We fully understand and support the belief that the best scenario for him would be that his parents get healthy and he eventually go back to them. If that cannot happen, we also believe that it is important for a child to be surrounded by many people that love him/her.
Meeting this little guy has been a gift because he has taught us that we can love a non-biological child as much as we love our biological daughters. So we are working towards becoming licensed foster parents (finished training, starting homestudy soon) with the goal of adopting a young boy from within the foster care system.
We will not consider other boys until we know what is happening with this little guy.
So here is my question for social workers in particular.
Would social workers consider allowing my husband and I to write a heartfelt letter to this little guy's biological parents proposing the idea of doing an open adoption where we would genuinely support an ongoing relationship between them? We realize we have to be cautious and careful because of to their addictions. I feel a scenario like that would be best for him because he would have the emotional and financial stability of being part of our secure family ... but remain in touch with his bio parents and always know his roots.
I wondered if this is an idea that a social worker would even consider? Or is it totally out of the question and out of line?
It would be out of line because unless rights are terminate the goal is for the kiddo to go home. It would be looked like trying to interfere in it.
Advertisements
I agree with Sheena. ANYTHING that might look like an interference with RU can be grounds for the bio's to have the child moved to another home. At just over 6 months - there is still quite a lengthy period of time before bio's run out of 'options' and in my experience... even bio's that let the plan go clear to tpr don't like the idea that someone else might really think they are going to keep the child.
Just my own opinion and I pray it works out the best for the child :)
I agree with Sheena. ANYTHING that might look like an interference with RU can be grounds for the bio's to have the child moved to another home. At just over 6 months - there is still quite a lengthy period of time before bio's run out of 'options' and in my experience... even bio's that let the plan go clear to tpr don't like the idea that someone else might really think they are going to keep the child.
Just my own opinion and I pray it works out the best for the child :)
If the little guy becomes available for adoption and his foster parents aren't a concurrent home you might be able to be considered "near kin" if you have already established a relationship with him. Reunification is always the first choice, and current placement next, but you would definitely be considered, especially if you are licensed foster parents with room for him in your home.
Advertisements