Advertisements
Advertisements
I am so frustrated right now, looking over and over again through posts every time I piece a new little itty bitty piece of the puzzle together... It seems like every time I make any headway, I get kicked back with "new" info... I don't have any rights being a sibling, my poor mother has no clue what to do/say/where to start - she's so afraid right now... For many reasons, but this is one of them as well... The "search" that is... This is also turning into a medical emergency search... So that is adding extra rush and fear on me...
She can't remember dates very well due to medical conditions - She hates herself for that too - I try to reassure her it's ok, and its not her fault, etc etc...
The only information I have that's solid is this: Her name is June Marie Coltrane (at the time of births) born 1945 - She's 60 years old today... 9/14
Two children, between 1964 and 1968 - the younger girl of the two would have dark hair, eyes, and complexion born before 1/68 - the older boy would more than likely be pretty tall... born after
I have gotten dates of 9/65, 9/67 - 12/66, 12/65 - I have NO clue if any of these are correct...
The older boy was DEFINITELY born in Durham, she stayed at the Salvation Army Home - The younger girl was DEFINITELY born in Smithfield Memorial Hospital... My mother stayed with her sister at the time...
I'm dizzy from searching - needle in a haystack time I guess - I NEED THE BD'S!!!
Anyone - please
***Update***
I have spoken with my mother, and she has been trying so hard to piece her memory together...
She recalled the girl's birthdate exact because it was her best friend's bd as well
September 10 - More than likely 1967
The boy she recalls was born in the spring e early spring of 1966...
Any information, any help, any support with words is extremely appreciated...
Thanks, and good luck to all of you searching - May you all have luck finding who you're looking for...
~doniece
I found the entry for the girl in the Johnston county Birth Index;
Female born 12-15-1966 to June Marie Coltrane
I'm still searching for the boy's entry.
Advertisements
yes - my heart jumped a beat a little bit...
But I have a question, is this the birth index from the county itself? Or is it the one on Ancestry.com - Does it give any other information?
Do you think it could have been changed from male to female?
I'm just so confused - my mother is almost positive the girl was born on 9/10/67 - but the boy may have been born in december of 66 ...
Advertisements
cominguptails
But I have a question, is this the birth index from the county itself? Or is it the one on Ancestry.com - Does it give any other information?
The NC Birth Index found at Ancestry is compiled of the actual birth indices from the counties, and was provided to them (Ancestry) by the NC Archives. So they are essentially one in the same.
What I find interesting is that Ancestry is making lots of money selling this database of "public record". :mad: but that's beside the point.
Do you think it could have been changed from male to female?
I viewed the actual Birth Index via Ancestry download and it is clearly entered as Baby Girl Coltrane. I have found errors on this index, what I'm guessing is human error in deciphering some of the blacked out names when building the database, but I don't think this is an error.
Since the entry was not blacked out, there is a small chance that the original birth certificate was not pulled with in the county. But I have seen instances where the b.c. was pulled but the entry not blacked out in the Birth Index Book.
One more note about the blacked out names in the indices. It seems that some were added to the Ancestry database if they could be read....and some were not.
I've checked and rechecked and do not see a match for the male child. Chances are his name was one that was blacked out thus not added to the database, OR , Durham county was excluded in the database as was Wake.
You mentioned not having any rights as a sibling:
NCGS 48-9-103(f) states:
Nothing in this section shall prohibit an agency from disclosing non-identifying information about an adoptee's present circumstances, in the nature of information required under G.S. 48-3-205, to a former parent, an adult sibling, or the guardian of a minor sibling, upon request.
Thank you SO much.... SO so so SO much, you don't even understand how much I appreciate this...
It may be part of the timeline I can put together...
I have a letter typed up and ready to go to CHS to find out any non-id info... and to update Mom's medical record...
Should I take a trip to Durham to look for a b.c.?
Where would I go ... oh dear... *grin*
Thank you
cominguptails
Should I take a trip to Durham to look for a b.c.?
Where would I go ... oh dear... *grin*
Thank you
Before you start burning up the roads, give Durham county ROD a call and ask them if they have their original Birth Index Book, this is totally different from the birth certificate books. Some counties have done away with these birth index books and have everything on computer. The books still exsist but I've yet to get a straight answer as to if they are still housed with in the county. :mad:
I've never done research in Durham so I have no idea how they keep records. If they don't have the books, and the b.c. has been pulled then there won't be much to found in the county.
As far as the female born in Johnston county, I would recommend a trip to see if that b.c. is still there. You never know....you might get lucky. You should be able to get an uncertified copy if it's still there.
Your mom's info will be on it, so if there's any doubt if this is the correct child, this would clear it up.
Or, your MOM could just call the agency that handled her adoption and ask them to confirm this date.
If you'd like, you can e-mail me directly, my e-mail.
Advertisements
I just signed up for a trial subscription to ancestry.com...
I see it in black and white now... December 15, 1966 - Baby Girl born to June Marie Coltrane... It's amazing...
Of course I can't find anyone looking that was born that date... =(
I'm going to take a trip, or get my aunt to go down and try to get a copy of the original b.c.
It says its on page 556 of book 81...
That site is so neat...
I just wish I could find something, anything on the boy....
I guess I'll just have to go down to Durham and look myself...
Thank you guys! You've been awesome...
Thank you for updating us and showing it's worth it to not give up!!
Let us know WHEN you find them. :)
Advertisements
Don't be surprised when you open the birth certificate book and find a plain white sheet of paper in the place where the b.c. should be.
When a child is adopted, the original b.c. is pulled (not destroyed) and sent to Raleigh. In it's place they usually put this paper that states the original has been sent to Raleigh.
I haven't done any searches in Durham, but if I had to bet, I'd say you're probably not going to find much unless they still have have their original birth index books. Some counties no longer have these books or they tell you that, so they don't have to let you see them, and have everything on computer or a computer generated list (ie Burke) with all adoption related births expunged. :mad: :mad:
I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just telling you this from my past experience and maybe save you a trip or two.
IMO, your best option is to have your mom (the biomom) write to RDU and request non-id on the children especially the male since you don't even know his DOB. She is entitled to this and if nothing else they should refer her to an agency, quite possibly the one that handled the adoption. If someone tells her she's not entitled to non-id then you simply ask for their supervisor and ask again. She is entitled to non-id and this does include the birthdate .
The main thing you need to know is....what county were they adopted in?.
In the mean time keep posting and looking on every site and register with the ISRR.
....if you do go to Durham, Roberta is correct. Don't mention adoption, they due tend to shut down and won't offer the simplest of info about anything.
If they ask and most don't, just tell them you're doing research. And remember...these are "public records" and you have every right to view them.