Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello everyone,
Here is a little history on my situation.
In 1999, I got pregnant with my then boyfriend, we were living in S. California at the time. He hung around for a while but split when I was 7 months along and I had the baby in late 2000. On my son's birth certificate, the father is listed as unknown since he was not there and he also has my maiden name as a last name. I tried to get a hold of him (contacted his parents and emailed) but only received a congratulations email and 1 more email after... following that, I had no contact.
Fast forward to now. I've been married for almost 4 years now to a different man and we have 2 other boys together. He has been in my oldest son's (who is now 5)life since he was 13 months old and my oldest thinks of him as dad. We have yet to have any contact with the bio dad, although he occasionally contacts my friends so I know he knows how to get a hold of me.
My husband would like to adopt my oldest but we are not sure what to do. Unfortunately, my ex sporadically contacts my friends but according to them, they do not know how to contact him or know where he is (with the exception that he lives somewhere in N. California). Obviously, I will need to have his right terminated don't really know where to start
Thanks,
KC
Where are you in the adoption process? When you meet with the social worker and once they understand your situation during the interview, they will tell you exactly how to proceed legally. I'm no attorney, but they have to determine if the bio father is alleged or presumed. Depending on that, they might not need his consent or they will try to gain consent on your behalf at the last known address/phone number. After that outcome, they will tell you what court procedures to take. Good luck.
Advertisements