Advertisements
Advertisements
My son would like to adopt his 13 year old step son. I've agreed to help but am not sure of a process when the birth father is not involved. Mother had attempted to contact him with no redone so how do we proceed with out costing an arm?
Your Local Court System can help you Notify and Serve Dad.
What does Mom have as proof of Notification of Dad?
Has she sent anything Certified and Receipt of Verification of Mail?
By Telephone can not be verified!!
Most of the paperwork is now Online through your Local Court System!!
Juli
Advertisements
In Texas -- you are required to either have dad terminate his rights or terminate them based on a certain set of criteria.
If he isn't involved (and involved in subjective -- if he pays support, he is involved in the eyes of the law) -- then you can have his rights terminated based on abandonment.
I suggest hiring an attorney to help you navigate the requirements.
I only suggest Pro-Se when dad is willing to terminate and everyone is on the same page. Otherwise, there are just far to many legal hoops to jump through.
In Texas -- you are required to either have dad terminate his rights or terminate them based on a certain set of criteria.
If he isn't involved (and involved in subjective -- if he pays support, he is involved in the eyes of the law) -- then you can have his rights terminated based on abandonment.
I suggest hiring an attorney to help you navigate the requirements.
I only suggest Pro-Se when dad is willing to terminate and everyone is on the same page. Otherwise, there are just far to many legal hoops to jump through.