Advertisements
Advertisements
What story or event in 2005 had the biggest impact on you and/or your family? The year was filled with news stories, tragedies, ill-conceived television programming, changes in laws, and it's hard for me to say that just one affected me more than others. However, here on the adoption.com forums, I'd have to say that the greatest thing to happen was the outpouring of support for forum members and other families caught in the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina.
I'd have to give a thumbs down to
- "Who's Your Daddy" and
- Missouri for severely cutting adoptive and foster family subsidies.
And thumbs up to
- Angelina Jolie who, despite a lot of mixed press, is truly committed to her kids and to adoption, and
- Ontario for passing a highly contested and controversial bill allowing access to birth records.
By far, every story that referred to the latest casualty in Iraq. Both of my brothers have been over there since February, and I just hold my breath and pray with every story.
Advertisements
I would agree that the outpouring of support for the victims of Hurricane Katrina was the greatest thing to happen in 2005. For me, it reaffirmed my faith in the American people. That and the increasing opposition on the part of the American public to the war in Iraq. Your brothers, b&bsmommy, are in our thoughts and prayers.
Thumbs down to the Texas legislature for trying to ban gay people from fostering. And thumbs up to whoever realized this would deprive thousands of kids from loving and stable homes.
I just hate it when ideology trumps kids' needs.
The best news, as always, is how many children were adopted into loving homes. They are blooming.
The worse news...the number of children adopted internationally who were killed by their adoptive parents continues to grow. Not all legal issues are complete so I guess some may be found not guilty but I think there are about 15 now. May they rest in peace.
Advertisements
A little late here, but I'd give a thumbs up to "Who's Your Daddy?" for focusing media attention (albeit in a crude sort of way) on a too often ignored human predicament.
I'd give a thumbs down to Ontario's Adoption Information Disclosure bill (though I wish I didn't have to. I had high hopes at the outset) which contains a concealed veto.
It should be explained that Bill 183 enables birth parents to maintain anonymity by claiming harm (unspecified) if the original birth certificate is released to the adoptee.
Adoptees can do the same - claim harm if their amended birth certificates are released to the birth parents.
IMO, this isn't a compromise.
It's a sell-out.
Other than that, my high point of the year was Judge Jones's unequivocal decision on "Intelligent Design".