Advertisements
Advertisements
Hey all, I have been coming to this website off and on for a few months. i was looking for someone else that could relate and I found so many of you and tonight I found this forum about first nations.
I am legally considered "First Nations" here in canada. Some of you may have read my other posts in the following forum, well I can't find the forum so I search for info
[url="http://forums.adoption.com/showthread.php?t=211929"]http://forums.adoption.com/showthread.php?t=211929[/url]
At the request of my family I had to leave and moved from one province to another where my "ancestors" were from *shakes head*. I had never grown up on a reservation, no memory of being around "first nations people" but some jerk decided that it was in my best interest to move to a reservation and get to know extended family. It was such a horrifying experience for me, it was the first time I saw IV drug use, people threatening others with guns, a lifestyle that I was never around. It was a culture shock.
I was never able to "connect" with my adopted family so the brilliant idiots decided that I would magically connect to the ancestoral roots.
In the late 80's many reservations were getting "their" kids back, I had no choice, no one listened to me, no one cared. It was suppose to be a short visit and I was never returned and no one really cared that I was left behind. It was much easier for them to just surrender and leave me on the reserve.
I don't have a connection to my "heritage" even being forced to live on the reserve, I never developed and when I was finally moved into a bigger city, I was relieved. But still haunted by everything that happened.
I don't admit to my "heritage" I refuse to tell people what I am. It isn't something I want. I am ashamed of who I am. I know that sounds bad especially to some of you who are proud of who you are. I hate how I look so much like my birth mother.
Is there anyone else here was removed from a non first nation home and moved to a reserve?
take care all,
Jennifer
Individual planning is apparently not a concern that goes through lawmakers head. I am white, my daughter First Nations, and she had her issues learning to interact with her cuclture. There have been good and negative issues that arose. She is 26 and these issues still impact her life. Are you in Western Canada?
Advertisements
Hi there, I'm a Native Canadian from the West Coast originally (I've moved from there to the East though) I assume that I'm Sto:lo or Salish, though I can't know for certain. I was adopted when I was a few days old in 1983 and have recently been searching for my biological family. I've had no luck whatsoever of course. My biological mother was put into foster care and then went to live with her grandmother (now deceased apparently according to something my adoptive mum heard) and was living there when she had me. That was in Prince Rupert, BC. I've had a lot of condemnation from both white friends and Native friends over the years, when I would hang out with my Native friends, my white friends would start to shun me a bit and the other way around. It's been very difficult to know how to act. Now I just don't care about how people treat me regarding the matter. I know who I am and if they don't like me for it, too bad for them. I am hoping to be accepted into a tribe, and soon hopefully. A friend of mine is talking about it to her chief. It's been tough not being able to find out more about my background but I also hope to discover more about it in time. Oh.. I'm rambling... sorry.. LOL!
Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I may have a few ideas tht can help you in your search. Any native child born in Canada is supposed to be registered with the Depatment of Indian Affairs. That is who I contacted when my daughter was getting ready to graduate from high school. Since she didn't turn 18 until the end of January I needed their help. That is when I was told that each band mantains two member rolls - one the public can see and one that it private to the 'officials.' I can't say if I remember if it was her mom eho put her on it or the social services department. However, those two resources should be able to give you some amount of information. If you are on the roll, there is no doubt that you are a member. There is a bonus as well. When my daughter turned 18 she recieved all the payments that she would have received over her life, had she lived on the reserve.
Since I found my daughter's birth family, I have learned many things. A huge thing is the many moves so many people make. Just become someone was there or not there does not prove anything. She had a friend from that area, and if I understood those tribes are interrelated. Thre are close family relationships within the coastal First Nations.
It is funny that I picked up a book I hadn't read for a while; it sounds as though you may find it helpful, I find something new, everytime I read it. It is called, "The Adoption Life Cycle" by Elinor B. Rosenberg. I am sure that I bought it in Canada. Copyright 1992.
Another thing that was helpful was knowing my daughter's last name and then reading newspapers with a eye to the name. It might not be the right part of the family, but it worked for us. The person I talked to was a cousin on her Bmom, and within the afternoon, she had called and told the whole family.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks for your advice and your story, this gives me great hope for locating family and about gaining my status.
Advertisements
Gee Im sorry you feel that way,Im first Nations and not all reserves are like this,I wish I could help you maybe first step is to look for a native healing centre,what has happened to you and how it was put upon you was harsh,there are alot of centres even in the city's that can help you
there are Native Friendship centre's please check them out. in the end you will love who you are so sad to hear :( dancingstar
Im in central canada and it can be done to reclaim status, it isnt possible. It may take some paper work that seems insanely stupid but in the end it usually works out.
For me honestly...when i was forced to reside in my community it was the most horrific traumatizing situations ever. I never will get involved in my so called community again. Never. I have nothing against them at all, its just not for me and thats ok.
I dont know what needs to be done to find my place in the world. Hearts heal in time is what they say, some days are wonderful and some days wow I would do anything to have to face one more day. But in time they say...Im not sure if I believe them. All I can do is wake up and smile.
Hello,
I am new to these forums. I was adopted in Edmonton and had been through numerous foster homes before the age of 5, I still remember the day my brother and I planned on running away from one of the homes hoping to seek a better situation, we got on our bikes and said we would ride until we got to a Macdonalds and explain to them our situation and maybe they would give us free food. We didn't get far and were chased back to the house and sent to bed without supper. I just recently had my adoption file info mailed to me from the post adoption registry and found out my birth mothers maiden name, She was born in Yellowknife, NWT. I have been trying to look up her maiden name and see what nation she may have been from, as my adoptive mother is pushing for me to get my status for educational purposes. This gives me a small seed of closure that I have always wanted, to know something to personify her by, other than the fact that she was/is a sever alcoholic and all of her childeren have different fathers, including my brother whom was adopted with me to the same family. Growing up in mostly caucasion communities, I was always explaining my adoption and the fact that not alot was known of my geneology. I'm not sure about alot of other people who have been adopted or who have been through the government child care system as another nationality, but I feel our strength and wisdom that we bring into society is our gift we should feel blessed to have.
I grew up in the city and when my sister contacted me, she told me we were part of the Nekaneet First Nations Reserve near Maple Creek, where the rest of my siblings live. I was stunned, because I never thought of myself living on a reserve or even coming from one. It's bizarre but I"d like to see what life on a reserve is like. After all it's not the end of the world where you come from. It's only the beginning. Imagine all the things you could learn, people u could meet.
Advertisements
I am happy that you are finding out more information about your background, both for personal growth and for utilizing the rights you were born to. While I am not native, I am adopted and knew nothing of my birth family until I was in my late 30s. I found my mother, and learned that the little I thought I knew was all a lie. I know about her family, but she cannot give any information about my paternal side, due to the rape that led to my conception. It is sort of weird that I can put that aside, as of no real consequence to who I am, but I cannot put aside her attitude toward me.
Please continue to wake up and live each day. I know there are times when I think how different things might be if my child hadn't made contact, if we hadn't moved to where we lived, a lot of ifs. But a lot of good ifs happened as well. Take care of your self.
My husband is of First Nations heritage. His bmom was 3/4, his bdad Swedish.
He never lived on the Reservation, but he has visited and met family from there. He feels completely out of place, uncomfortable. Him choosing to marry me instead of a First Nations woman was just the nail in the coffin for some of his maternal birth family.
Interesting thing...one of his sibs that has a do not contact order on her file is also named Jennifer...:eyebrows: