Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi, let me preface this by stating that I am NOT questioning MLK's importance!!
My dad(CC) has offered us a large portrait of MLK that he has had in his office for years. I'd definitly accept but space is at a huge premium here, and partly for that reason we don't have any other portraits of anyone else hanging either. 'cept DD of course! I haven't answered yet, my first thought was "Thanks, but...". however I'm not comfortable with that somehow. Would it be appropriate to accept and hang it just because of who he is?
Any thoughts? Again, I'm not debating his importance. I feel kind of dumb for asking...
Max
If you don't have the space...don't take it. We don't have any MLK pictures hanging in our house. I'm AA and my husband is CC. :-)
Advertisements
Back in the day....most AA homes had a MLK picture hanging. My grandparents had MLK, JFK and the Jesus with the blonde hair and blue eyes. My parents only had the picture of Jesus. I don't have any of those pictures up in my home. I don't know anyone in my generation or younger who has those pictures hanging in their homes and I'm 41. I do have art by people of African descent and so do many of my friends. I think that's what the younger generations are doing.
It's okay to not take the picture.
You might check into donating it to a local school. Sooo many schools don't have a year round picture of MLK in the library.
lol. no picture of mlk, but in my family we had mlk and the queen of england (my sis had dual citizenship) :p .
only photos up are those of family, but dd does have campaign posters of the Kerry/Edwards campaign and the Gore campaign (mom's little collection).
think about donating it to a school or public library.
btw, MLK is not a saint (just wanted to put that out there, lol). I respect what he's done and honor him for everything he achieved but he has not been declared a saint. Neither has Rosa Parks (rest her soul). They were just ordinary people who did extraordinary things, things we all can do if we put our minds to it.
Gotta change what I said, we do have a pic of DD and her BMom up.
Anyway, I just want to do right by DD and her heritage, thank you for your input!
Advertisements
No MLK but I've got one of Bob Marley singing at the County Bowl framed in my living room! Is that wrong? :)