Advertisements
Advertisements
Has anyone used a PI to help them gather information about their birthfamily? One of my girlfriend's father's is a policeman and also has his PI "license" (or whatever it's called) and he offered to help me out. I just don't know where to start! :grr: I have my non-identifying information, and that is really all I have to go by.
Has anyone else tried this? I'm hoping for suggestions of how and what we could try if he decides this is worth looking into.
Thank you! :grouphug:
Advertisements
Her name is Sheri Kalt
PVTeyeTN@aol.com as for cost it depends on the circumstances I had nothing basically but my name at birth and the date but she will let you know upfront
let me know how it goes good luck
I don't have a name at birth - I didn't recieve a name until I was adopted and even then I wasn't "officially" named until I recieved my birth certificate and my adoption was finalized in 1986. (I was two)
Is it even worth it to look into using a PI if all I have is vague non-identifying information?
Nicole28
I don't have a name at birth - I didn't recieve a name until I was adopted and even then I wasn't "officially" named until I recieved my birth certificate and my adoption was finalized in 1986. (I was two)
Is it even worth it to look into using a PI if all I have is vague non-identifying information?
In my opinion, anything is worth a try
Advertisements
You actually do have a name you but it's most likely "Baby Girl such and such". Even though I named my son at the hospital in all his paperwork he was referred to as "Baby Boy my last name".
I used a P.I. after searching on my own for 2 years. It took her two weeks to find my bmom and I did not have much to go on at the time. It cost about 3k for me and I'd be happy to PM you the name of the detective if you'd like.
I have no idea how we'd figure out what my last name at birth was considering that it is blacked out on my non-ID info.
Aaaaaaaand...I definitely do not have 3k haha! Maybe it won't be so costly because the PI is the father of a close friend?
HOW FRUSTRATING! :grr:
But keep the suggestions coming...I feel like I'm getting desperate.
Thanks for the advice & support forum friends! :thankyou:
Rosieg the pi you gave me the email of gave me some good starters. like calling the hospital/doctor. i'm prolly never going to hear back though. the hospital is sending me authorization papers so i can receive medical information. i heard that the best thing to do is contact the agency/maternity home.d
In NYS you cannot get any useful (i.e. - identifying) information from the hospital, doctor, maternity ward, or adoption agency...so talking to them is useless. :(
I guess I just need to discuss options and ideas with the PI...I'm not getting my hopes up though.
Advertisements
I'm NY State as well. I found this information today.
[url]http://www.birthfamily.com/deitrahs/NewYork.html[/url]
I don't have any identifying info, so I am going to try this. Since I don't currently live in NY, I will do the bolded part. It's worth a try!
NY's birth index is open to the public. If you can get to the Main Public Library on 42nd St., go to the Genealogy Room and ask the clerk for the birth certificate of your year. Go thru the birth index looking for a baby born on your birthday that has the same birth certificate number as the one on your amended. That should help you get your birth surname. I also believe you are entitled to see your hospital records, - you might try writing or calling the hospital and ask must you go there in person or would they send you a copy of your birth record. Say your doctor needs them to treat your condition....do not mention the A word!!!!
If you can not get to the birth index records, try finding the nearest LDS Family History Center FamilySearch - Family History Centers [url]http://www.familysearch.org/Search/searchfhc2.asp[/url]
Go and order the birth index for $3.50 and when it arrives they will call you. You have several weeks then to go thru the index at their center.
The birth index is in alphabetical order by surname, then first name (if any), then date of birth, sex and birth certificate number. It is tedious but if your name starts with an A or B it is no sweat at all. I have done this several times and know it works.
Oh, and on topic, I am now going to hire a PI since I've been trying to search by myself for 20 years with no luck.
Thanks for the suggestion - there's actually a center nearby my parent's home outside of Syracuse that I plan on checking out.
Do you know anyone who has used this center and had any luck? I don't even know what to search for when I get there. :confused:
Do you have a copy of your Birth Certificate?
I found this to describe what you have to do:
[url="http://www.adoptionreunionresources.com/ny_adoptees"]http://www.adoptionreunionresources.com/ny_adoptees[/url]
I've only read on other search sites the success of others doing this. I'll let you know how successful I am with it. But it looks like we can find our birth name through the books. Tedious task, but it's worth a shot.
Advertisements
Thanks for the link - I'm going to look into getting a "long" copy of my birth certificate. This should be an interesting process! :o
You can become [url=www.privateinvestigation.ch]privatdetektiv[/url]. It is really a good job. If you have a good skill you can become a good investigator and get many cases.