Advertisements
Advertisements
Has anyone had experience with a birth mother who wanted to and/or did breast feed the baby while she was in the hospital? Our b-mom just notified us that she intends to do this while she is in the hospital and I'm not sure what to think or feel. I realize this is her baby and her only chance, but it has made my emotional guard sky rocket!!!
Our birthmother stated she wanted to as well because she knew the benefits of the colostrum. However, she ended up not breastfeeding.
When she first told me - my first reaction was panic. But, then I realized that her doing so wasn't going to be a deciding factor for placement. And since it is best for the baby - I tried not to let myself worry about it too much.
It is her choice and her right and although that's not comforting words to you right now - I want you to know that there have been many birthmothers who have breastfed and placed just as planned.
Advertisements
I say this very gently, If breastfeeding changes her mind to parent , she shouldnt place to begin with!
Wishing you the best of luck and all that God has in store for your family:)
I agree....I nursed my bio daughter in the hospital and pumped at home for the first few months we lived only 20 mins away for her new family. It is very healthy for the baby and didn't change my mind to place. Fast forward to today and I am nursed my son and am nursing my daughter. It is very good for them to have.
Wishing you the best of Luck:)
I am an adoptive Mom. Of our 3 adoptions, only one birth mom breast fed, and it was me who suggested it to her!! Our sons Birth Mom was telling me how sore her breasts were & that she had breastfed her other children so she never experienced that. I told her, "Well why aren't you breast feeding him then?" She was more surprised at my suggesting it than I was probably for her doing it. It was a wonderful experience to see. We had to stay in her state for 2 weeks & everyday I would take him to her for visits & she would breast feed him each time. I never felt scared that she would change her mind because of it. If she really wanted to change her mind, that wouldn't have been the bonding during her feedings with him that would have done it. I was very happy that they could have that special time together. :)
Deb