Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Came across this site today (5/12/2021), and noticed some familiar stories here. I also recall Mrs. Chodas. I along with my siblings were there in January thru February 1967. Some of my siblings were sent to various family friends for a time while myself and younger brother stayed for an entire month.
Along with Mrs. Chodas, I also recall the point system (bonus points for making your bed correctly), the closet to use your earned points for toys (I think I got a plastic model). I also have many bad memories of that time, both personal but as well as from the staff and other kids while we were there. There was hazing, and some very disturbed individuals, like that "Mr. Chicken" mentioned in an earlier posting (a later posting I may describe how he got his nickname).
Some of the practices by the staff for examples, as brothers on the boys side, none of us were allowed to share the same bedroom and were then split up with other kids - not a good experience given our drama of the time (I read about the brother above who committed suicide). I also believe there was staff abuse, while not widespread, but that did happen, especially to some of the young boys and girls.
There are smells and songs that bring me back to that awful period and I believe it has had a lasting impact to my life.
I recently requested records from the County but was told there were none "to be found." I think some of this may have hit the shredder. Wish I could do the same with my memories.
I will come back and post more items here but would love to hear from others.
Last update on May 12, 1:40 pm by Doug Meyer.