Advertisements
Advertisements
HI. I posted this under 'Adoption Subsidies' and didn't get much traffic, so forgive me if you've already read this. Just trying to get some answers. Here was the post:
Hi. We are going to finalize the adoption of our son in Oct. The social worker who did our homestudy keeps insisting that there is a subsidy available to us because he was born drug exposed. She says to just ask our lawyer, but she doesn't know either. I just assumed that since this was a private adoption that there was no subsidy. Who is right??
Thanks for any help.
Beth
bs, 9
as, 4 months
If you didn't adopt from the state, or if the child never entered the foster care system, I doubt that there would be a subsidy available. This was a truly private adoption and the state/foster care system was not involved, correct?
I'm thinking no, but your attorney would be able to give you the "lawful" answer.
Advertisements
Yes, this is a private adoption only. The state is involved with the parents but said they wouldn't interfere with this adoption. I never assumed there would be a subsidy and have frankly thought the social worker was misinformed, but she keeps insisting so I thought maybe she knows something I don't. I have two special needs kids now, and am not looking to find a subsidy, but if it is available it definately wouldn't hurt to cover their health needs.
Thanks,
Beth
beth9927
HI. I posted this under 'Adoption Subsidies' and didn't get much traffic, so forgive me if you've already read this. Just trying to get some answers. Here was the post:
Hi. We are going to finalize the adoption of our son in Oct. The social worker who did our homestudy keeps insisting that there is a subsidy available to us because he was born drug exposed. She says to just ask our lawyer, but she doesn't know either. I just assumed that since this was a private adoption that there was no subsidy. Who is right??
Thanks for any help.
Beth
bs, 9
as, 4 months
The social worker is right and if you don't establish that now you probablay won't be able to do it at a later time. Do it now!
What she's discussing is AAP Subsidized Adoption. There's something she knows (that you know too) or something she suspects (ask her now) about your son's medical condition. If he has a potential for mental illness, CP, shaken baby, ect. Or, if he we born seizing and addicted then you'll want continuing medical coverage, at the very least. Medical coverage, a monthly stipend to cover extra expenses related to his medical needs and your need to be there with him, ect are compensated through the stipend, which can exceed $1,000.00 a month in some cases. If you don't use it but get it established, you can either relinquish it or bank it for his college. The state/fed makes you prove expectation, but not economic need, to receive anything at all (including medicals).
We have an 'exposed' child who is now seizing and displaying learning issues as well as mental issues. My son's medicals shot WAY up after his adoption. He's on $1600.00 - 1,800.00 per month just in prescriptions. He's a candidate for longterm residential care (which runs $5,800.00 per month) and ALL of it is 100% covered via the AAP agreement.
If it were me, and it was me, I'd fill out the forms and set limits to include medical coverage, including psych and vision/dental. The rest is negotiable. Don't let conscience be your guide. Worry now so that you can rest better later, if need be.
so the state is involved then...so yes, do talk to your sw and figure it all out with the ppwk etc.:)
Advertisements
Wow - I had never heard of this before but with the correct wording AAP - I was able to find some info.
First it does seem to vary by state. And Kentucky's answer appears to be that it is rare and the child must be Title IV-E eligible along with having special needs.
More details and links can be found at:
[url="http://www.nacac.org/stateprofiles/kentucky.html"]http://www.nacac.org/stateprofiles/kentucky.html[/url]
We have an 'exposed' child who is now seizing and displaying learning issues as well as mental issues. My son's medicals shot WAY up after his adoption. He's on $1600.00 - 1,800.00 per month just in prescriptions. He's a candidate for longterm residential care (which runs $5,800.00 per month) and ALL of it is 100% covered via the AAP agreement.
San, just to clear this up...are you saying you adopted an 8 year old privately where the state wasnt involved and you qualified for subsidy?
I just want to make sure misinformation isnҒt given on the site due to confusion. People tend to take information post as fact and I have never heard of a state offering subsidy to a family who adopted privately or internationally.
If the state has a case open on the child, he or she may qualify for subsidy, but if the case is only open on the mom and siblings, chances are, there is no subsidy option.
For anyone reading this...you can contact Post Adoptive Services thru your counties, even if your county adoption was done 10 years ago.
If it was a private adoption you can still qualify for adoption assistance thru the AAP program or Social Security. Both are public programs, so you'd probably do better to Google it than ask your lawyer for indepth knowledge. It's a bummer to hear that agencies don't have the info memorized though.
Ah, ok, it is terminology miscommunication then...Subsidy is only offered through the state, when adopting from the state.
AAP and SSI are not considered subsidyӔ they are additional programs and can be obtained in addition to adoption subsidies...adoption from the state is not required for either of those programs - in fact, adoption is not even required for SSI.
Advertisements
Just a note. San is correct. It is often referred to as a 'subsidy'---even though the state is NOT involved with the placement. It has everything to do with paperwork that is filed by the agency that facilitated the adoption; and/or the attorney who is doing the finalization. The main point to consider (which I think San, or someone else mentioned too) is to get the paperwork and possible approval done BEFORE finalization. It is very difficult to do this after the finalization is done.
SSI (Social Security Income) can be done anytime.....but the 'subsidy' (our own attorney has used this term, even though it was not needed for our private adoptions)....is filed before the finalization and also has to do with possible problems that may arise with the child as s/he grows. (Seizuring, LD, brain trauma, etc.)
This is not something that is often done, but it is very possible to apply for it, and it is granted in cases such as we have already discussed. It's just that a lot of agencies/attorneys don't like to deal with the paperwork, because it is long and detailed, I've been told.
Best of luck to the OP.
Sincerely,
Linny
BrandyHagz
San, just to clear this up...are you saying you adopted an 8 year old privately where the state wasnt involved and you qualified for subsidy?
I just want to make sure misinformation isnҒt given on the site due to confusion. People tend to take information post as fact and I have never heard of a state offering subsidy to a family who adopted privately or internationally.
If the state has a case open on the child, he or she may qualify for subsidy, but if the case is only open on the mom and siblings, chances are, there is no subsidy option.
Brandi,
To clarify; I fost-adopted. My son was dx'd befoe adoption and we knew that he'd have special needs for the remainder of his life.
There are baby's thru private agencies, and interstate adoptions thru the adoption compact who are in public, care, that allow subsidies. It's a federal program. The state can't refuse you. This is not a payment for foster care. It's subsidized adoption that was set up to facilitate adoption for kids who otherwise won't even be considered.
The only adoptions that I've heard of as being categorically ineligible are family or kinship adoptions. Then there' s typically nothing paid, even if you do adopt a child who's already been placed in foster care. If it's a close relative then you are disallowed.
Check with your state for real answers!
Inour last private adoption we COULD have gotten a subsidy. While the adoption started out as private because eventhough the state was involved the birth mom placed voluntarily using an attorney BUT we could have used an agency to terminate parental rights instead of the Attorney. If we had we would have gotten the subsidy thru the state of OH. I think you CAN do get AAP in a private adoption if the state is involved AND the SW is willing to help.
lisa
So do any of you know what it takes to meet the qualifications of Title IV-E. Am I understanding this right - that you either have to be eligible for ssi or something to do with the living conditions (income, marital status) of the birthparents??
Beth
Advertisements
beth9927
So do any of you know what it takes to meet the qualifications of Title IV-E. Am I understanding this right - that you either have to be eligible for ssi or something to do with the living conditions (income, marital status) of the birthparents??
Beth
it takes a DSM-IV diagnosis, from what I understand. Medical conditions, sensory intergration issues, social problems that border on a conduct disorder or inability to bond are also things that create eligibility for the AAP.
As far as Los Angeles county goes, all foster children are subsidized adoption eligible, because it's assumed that there will be a level of management involved. There's a scale (A-D) that determines the subsidy rate. A child who has massive issues will qualify for the D rate and be reassessed every two years for rate. A child receiving the lowest rate won't be reevaluated for anything beyond maintained custody by the adoptive parent.
In Utah, a special needs child will receive roughly 40% of the foster care rate. Oregon is done on a financial need basis, which seems unique, and the subsidy is negotiated with between teh SW and the aparents. In CA the same child would receive 200% of the rate, no financial need is ever determined since it's not a payment, it's a stipend. From what I can tell, there's no difference in services, just perception of need.