Advertisements
Advertisements
I was reading the post about the medical requirements in Russia now, and I thought it would be nice to know what people have experienced lately and what region it was on. It seems like some regions want to do the medicals in the region, and some let you do the medicals in the US.
Anyone willing to share their region and if they did medical here or in Russia?
We are just starting the process again (just got the paperwork to fill out for our second adoption). We adopted from Izhevsk in December 2004, before this new requirement. It seems that you have to go to the doctors in Izhevsk, which I think is a region specific rule. (Not sure though)
I am not crazy about going to the doctor in Russia, so I am hoping that there are other regions that let you do all of this here in the US.
Thanks!
Renae
We are headed to Murmansk, we did the 8 doc medical here, with our family physician and then a special letter from the state medical board which states that physicians in PA are able to diagnose (and then it listed everythng on the medical..).
Advertisements
I was assigned to the Tver region. I had to do the 8 doctor form here for my dossier, but one doctor was allowed to sign off on everything. My insurance covered the doctor's visit here. Once in region I had to see their doctors to verify everything. It was very inexpensive--about $35 for all of them. No additional x-rays or bloodwork was needed.
I was assigned to the Tver region. I had to do the 8 doctor form here for my dossier, but one doctor was allowed to sign off on everything. In between my two trips I had to get the form updated here and do some blood tests and a urinalysis drug test. I also had to get the psychiatrist to update his report. My insurance covered the doctors' visits here, including the psychiatrist, as well as the blood and drug tests.
Once in region I had to see their doctors to verify everything. No additional x-rays or bloodwork was needed--they all only asked me questions and looked at the test results that my US doctor had done. It was very inexpensive--about $35 for all of them. This included the psychiatrist exam and the drug exam.
Hi Renae!
We talked a long time back..we completed the adoption of our daughter Hannah from Izhevsk in May of this year. We did our medicals in Glazov, where her orphanage was. We were one of the "lucky ones" who found out 2 days before trip 2 that we had to do the medicals..ugh! It was very easy in Izhvesk, and only cost like 60 dollars for both of us and a few boxes of chocolates!
Word of warning...DO NOT do your medicals in Izhevsk. Tell your agency you WON'T...it is bad BAD news there. I know a family who spent 2 full days being examed, and the poor woman had THREE internal exams!!!!!!!! They were both very healthy, but were given a very hard time.
In Glazov, we took our bloodwork and chest xray films with us. We had to take our shirts off for the dermatologist.that is about it.
Good luck!
Sorry for the double response on this one... I was posting right as the system was going down for maintenance and it got really screwy...
Advertisements
primorye region (vladivostok) here
Our medicals were done by our family physician in the US had it notorized, certified, and apostilled. It was sufficient however I've heard that some judges do not accept it and make the family do medicals in region, but that is very rare.
We just had court last Thursday with the head judge here in Vladivostok, so this is as current as it gets!
Crispex....
Did you have to have a letter from the state verifying that your physician was qualified to complete the form in all areas? I know of one family that had to have this. Thanks!
We had to get a letter from the medical board stating this person was qualified to perform medical exams and practice medicine. It didn't list the specific tests. We were also required to get a copy of our MD's medical license.
We did our exams in the region (Khabarovsk). Much easier than doing it here! We saw each doctor for about 2 minutes. One check our blood pressure, another checked our reflexes, another one did a breast exam (just a quick honk-honk, nothing terrible) the derm just looked us over from about 5 feet away. It was really a piece of cake and cost about $70 each. We did bring our chest x-rays and blood results with us, but didn't get our syphylis back in time before we went to Russia so we had to get a finger poke in Russia. They opened up a new poker thing in front of us.
Nothing to fear. I have posted about this on a number of different boards. I really don't understand this fear of "Russian doctors" It's true that the medical standards there are not on par with those here in the west. But we aren't going for surgery. It's reflexes and stethoscopes. American boobs look the same as Russian boobs. They've seen 'em before. ;-)
It's dumb that we have to do it, and the exams themselves are jokes, but honestly, it is not a big deal.
Advertisements
I am adopting from Moscow and am wondering if there is anyone out there who has been to Moscow lately and needed to get their medicals done again in-country? Thanks RB
Hey RB,
We're adopting in the Moscow region as well. Our agency has told us that we will have to have medicals done in Moscow and to plan to spend around $500 each :eek: ! I hope someone else that has been recently is reading and can fill us in on this. Best wishes!
We are leaving October 11th for court in Izhevsk on the 18th. We are supposed to do medicals in Moscow on the 13th and take blood & TB test results with us. Cost is $300.00 US + 1800 rubles (about 360 altogether?) We had short notice, so there was no way to get all this done stateside in the timeframe. Maybe that will help ???
oksnivelys - Is the fee you were quoted per person or total? Either way, it is much more reasonable than the 1500 per couple fee at the Moscow American Clinic. Makes me think they will have you do the medicals at a different location in Moscow? If you find out the name of the doctor/clinic where you will have your medicals, please consider letting us all know. Perhaps we could have our folks negotiate with the same clinic... You may not know the name till after you return, but the info. would prove helpful whenever...
The American Clinic fees are ruthless !!
Advertisements
sorry, i thought about that after i posted it... it is roughly $360.00 per person. i will let everyone know the clinic name when we return... also, they are indicating that the 10-day appeal is already waived, as our Russian facilitator has told agency that court is 18th and we return to Moscow on the 19th WITH our DD:)