Advertisements
Advertisements
I thought I'd go ahead and post this since there are a number of you that are adopting or have adopted with a much older child in the house. Hunter and my youngest dd are almost 8 years apart. When we moved, she wanted a bunkbed with a futon under it so she could have extra space. I thought this was a great idea and since she is heading for 11, she is old enough. Fast forward a few months. As I've mentioned, we've been trapped in apartment ....uh, heck... for 6 months. The kids above us are HEATHENS (I can't emphasize that enough) and get up jumping, screaming and stomping between 5 and 5:30 a.m. every morning even on the weekends. The floors are apparently very thin and Hunter hasn't slept well since they moved in a few months ago. Anyway, back to the story. The last two mornings, "J" has had a visitor in her bunkbed. This morning, Hunter even scaled it carrying his Clemson Tiger (about 16" high) and a crib comforter. :eek: I guess I should be glad that he's athletic. Needless to say, we're re-thinking that purchase!!! I just thought I'd toss this out there as a warning in case your kids are close. I might add that Hunter just adores his Ga-ga (not really close to her name, but that's what he picked when he was 13 months (home just weeks) and it's stayed!!)
Hi..Know what you mean!
We have three girls in one (small )room...The two year old ended up in the 11 year olds bed ( the top bunk!) last week ...She somehow managed to climb up into it from her cot !!!
We HAD been keeping the ladder away from her as she kept climbing it ..figured she was safe once asleap in her cot..LOL obviously we were wrong!!
Today we asked her if she wants to sleep in a bed now not a cot.Her answer was "want sleep in Mummy's bed." Everyone roared with laughter..smart kid.Not quite what I meant.The 8 year olds response was.."If you put her in a bed she will end up in my bed each night..Oh that would be fun..Can she have a bed...?"
Advertisements
Doesn't matter if you have bunkbeds or not, boys will always find a way to climb--LOL. Not kidding here. OUrs used to be in bunkbeds till they moved into their larger room. We dismantled the bunks. Just this weekend, they climbed the dressers to get to a balloon high in the ceiling. Boys will climb. Mine used to jump from one bunk to a lower bed in the same room. Sometimes you'd land...sometimes you don't. Wait till Hunter gets some age on him, it will be shocking at what boys attempt. Just this morning, I sent Alex to school w/ a huge swollen, black and blue eye. Horrible looking. What happened? Well, he and Bojan were goofing around as usual and banged skulls together. Bojan has no "war wounds" on him but Alex got the brunt of the head butt. Urghh. Every day we tell them NOT to mess around or someone will get hurt. With boys, it won't matter. They are so different from girls.
You could get rid of the bunkbeds but it really wont' change things. He'll still probably climb. That, and since they are still fairly new, it is something "different" to do. When we first got the bunks, the kids couldn't stay off of them. That wears off quickly when they learn it is for bed time--LOL.
My two cents, your daughter loves them, keep the bunks. Good luck. People used to tell me how different boys are from girls and I used to not think muchof it. Everyday now, I think of that statement and just how true it is.
Best wishes. So sorry about the noisy neighbors. I"ve been there, done that and it is NOT a bit of fun.
BTW, sometimes kids want to be close to their sibs, even if not bio. Some of mine have actually tried to sleep in the same beds as well. We put a stop to it. It doesn't happen often but has happened.
Take care,
Word to the wise on bunkbeds: Pay attention to the structure of the top bunk.
When we were expecting bio DD#3 and had only two bedrooms for three girls, Keith built a beautiful set of twin/full beds in a natural, polyurethane finish. Removable top rail, plenty tall enough to keep kids from rolling out. Built in lip/shelf on each bed; built-in ladder. We've loved them.
When we were expecting DD#4 - six-year-old Julia from St. Pete - we bought a set of full/full bunkbeds online. Mistake!
First: When we put a mattress on top, the railing was so low that is was flush with the top of the mattress! Omigosh. A child would have rolled right out. Keith had to find a way to build up the railing. We painted the bunkbeds blue; we painted the new, extra railing red. Second: The top mattress is so tight that it take two adults to change the bed - one to lift up the mattress, one to tuck in the sheets. Big fat pain.
So I wouldn't recommend buying any bunkbeds I didn't see personally, especially examining that top bunk for ease of use.
Becky
[url=http://www.woodworthfamily.blogdrive.com]The Woodworth Family in Beautiful San Antonio TX[/url]
My DD wanted a high platform bed so she could put other things down below. You have to be a contortionist to change the bedding. Also makes nightime snuggle huggles tough, at least for my poor, aged body.
What can I say? I HATE the thing, and she, of course, LOVES it.
Sigh.