Advertisements
Advertisements
Not only do I keep getting different answers as to what I need from the State Department, but when I delve for details they really have no idea!
So originally, State Dept said I needed something showing I had custody, as well as something saying they can travel outside the country with me and then also something saying that I could apply for a passport with them. So I got my foster sheet to show custody (nope, that was not good enough because it does not show true custody, only medical authority?). Then I had a non-notarized department letterhead letter stating I could apply for a passport and also take her out of the country to [desitnation]. No, that also wasn't cool the woman at the post office said, because the permission to apply for a passport has to be unconditional and cannot mention a specific trip or what have you. That was last year and I gave up and used respite.
Now this year we are traveling again, and I said lets not even bother, lets just use respite. Oh no! my caseworker said. Best interests of child are for her to travel with you! Of course that made me feel guilty, so I said fine, lets try again. Now the Department has dragged their feet and gave me one letter from the court saying she could go, but mentioning nothing about a passport and it is three weeks before we travel!!!!! So I sent them what I need AGAIN (4th or 5th time now). And I called the State Department again to verify and told them I need the official word on what we need once and for all, because it changes every time I call.
Get this. The State Department guy put me on hold to talk with his supervisor, then came back and said "Go to talk to the foster child's social workers. They will know what you need." LOL!!!!!! they obviously are not familiar with the social workers. . . .
It is anyones best guess if I will be able to get her a passport at this point. :confused:
This is exactly the reason why I am waiting until (hopefully!) we adopt FS before we go to Niagara Falls. Good Luck!!
Advertisements
We are currently in the process of getting passports as well. In our case the necessary paperwork for the passport application is being put together by a DCF worker. We were put in touch with her via the GAL. Not sure if that helps, but that's the route that we are taking right for our first round.
My kids' case workers applied for the passports. The cw bought the court order and OBC. More was needed but we eventually got them.
My kids' case workers applied for the passports. The cw bought the court order and OBC. More was needed but we eventually got them.
An court order signed by the judge stating that you may obtain a passport and travel outside of the country and birth certifcate. Make sure that both are certified/stamped as originals. That's how I got one.
Advertisements
So, in the application form DS-11 Item 10 asks for parental information. I am assuming they mean the bio parents, as we have not adopted the kids yet. Or do they mean us as we are applying for the passport? Reason I am asking is that they want to know where the parents were born, and I have no clue if they are asking for bio info. Nowhere in the DCF paperwork does it mention that stuff. I guess that is my first road block on my journey to obtain passports for the kids.
thanks for your help!
millie58
Where I live, the CW has to request permission from the court and then apply for the passports. Once she receives them, she passes them on to the FP with a letter authorizing travel.
I can understand why the state dept gives foster parents a hard time because we aren't the legal parent of the child.
Even if the child can't travel with you this time, I would still ask the CW to get a passport for her so she can travel with you the next time.
kansas09
So, in the application form DS-11 Item 10 asks for parental information. I am assuming they mean the bio parents, as we have not adopted the kids yet. Or do they mean us as we are applying for the passport? Reason I am asking is that they want to know where the parents were born, and I have no clue if they are asking for bio info. Nowhere in the DCF paperwork does it mention that stuff. I guess that is my first road block on my journey to obtain passports for the kids.
thanks for your help!
It should be filled out and signed by the CW and contain all the bio's information. The CW should submit it with the court order as the person authorized to apply. If you put your information, they'll reject it back to you.
After you adopt, you should apply for new passports with the child's new name & your info as parents.
kansas09
thanks for your help!
They mean the bio parents information. You can find their birthdate and place on the childs birth certificate, which you will need to present to the Passport agency for sure. The birth certificate proves citizenship.
Then you will also need a letter (notarized) from the state (or county) saying that you are the foster parent and that you have permission to apply for a passport for the child. This letter should NOT specify a specific place or dates you are traveling. It must give carte blanche permission to apply for a passport.
Then you will need your drivers license, and a photocopy of your license, and of course the passport photos.
Good luck! I finally got mine but it was not easy!!!!
Advertisements
As an update I finally did get Pepa's passport. And here the social workers will not apply for you. Heck, they barely have time to make their monthly visits out to the house.
They were supportive of my efforts though and went to the judge to get permission after the bios said no way in He11 are they allowing it. So I have a letter from the judge authorizing the travel (which is really just for me to have, the passport agency does not want it) and a letter from the CW on department letterhead (notarized) saying I can apply for a passport, I got the original court order that gave the state custody of the child (from right after she was removed), and her original birth certificate.
It aint easy!!!! But now I have it and she is coming with us!!!! Yay!!!:banana: :banana:
Great new. Never an easy process. To date I have AD's passport, but am still waiting on a new birth certificate.
I guess it varies from worker to worker, at least I got my son's passport without a single day of delay. We filed out the form DS-11 here paid $6 for it, in order not to print it. Done all the additional paperwork and 3 weeks later we've got that passport
We are fostering to adopt a baby and last November we were able to take him on a trip outside of the country. All we did was to ask the court for permission trough the SW. The Judge gave us a letter stating that we were authorized to get his passport and travel with him to our destination. We just took the later and other documents to the post office and had no problems. DCFS also paid for all the passport fees and visa application, per the Judge request. It was very easy for us. Sorry you are going thru that
Last update on January 8, 1:25 pm by Denis V.
Advertisements