Advertisements
Advertisements
I thought it'd be fun to get a roll call going for those of us in the Columbus area.
I'm Jenny. My husband, Andy, and I adopted our son J through FCCS over 3 years ago. I've since given birth to little miss H and my rowdy boy M to round out our family.
J is in the first grade and recently started attending public school again after a year of homeschooling. He loves animals, superheroes and martial arts.
H is 2 and is the one in charge around here. She loves play-doh, coloring and all things Dora.
M is 9mo and starting to walk. He puts anything and everything in his mouth and is currently emptying my sock basket.
So, who else is out there?
Hi all... if I am not too late I'll add my info. LOL We adopted our daughter Natasha in 2003. She was 6.5 then, now she is 11 (will be 12 in June).
She is a great kid, very sociable and a very happy girl. We are older parents. We live in Sawmill/161 area. We gave her a lot of love and attention and are rewarded now. :)
Hope to get to know you all. :)
Laura.
Does anybody live close to this area? ;)
Advertisements
I am just looking for some info on placing a child for adoption. I am new to this and dont really know where to start. Any advice and good places to find parents would be helpful thanks.
Steph
heartjay
My husband and I are from Columbus and are interesting in adopting a child from FCCS. We have 3 biological children, 2 girls ages 9 and 6, and one boy at age 4. We would love to add to our family. How was your experience?
HeartJay, we used an adoption agency which headquarters are in Cleveland's suburbs. I am not sure if I am allowed to mention a name here. But I would like to say that Natasha was adopted from Kazakhstan in 2003 and our experience with this agency was wonderful - flawless adoption. If you need to know agency's name you can send PM to me and I will respond. :)
Anyone out there still posting in Central Ohio? My husband and I were licensec for therapeutic foster and adoptive homestudy completed by a small private agency here in July 2009. We have two children- a 7 yr. old bio DD and a 5 yr. old bio DS. We are wanting to adopt a brother/sister with possible 2nd girl under the age of 10 any race, and right now, it seems impossible! We have come in "2nd place" in two matching meeting to more geographically closer families, and our agency gets lots of referrals, but never seems to "win" any of the ones they offer to accept. Plus, with the ODAPLE site gone, I feel like I have no resources to find an Ohio match and out of state inquiries are like a wild goose chase with so little feedback. Help!
I no longer live in Central Ohio, but do check in here occasionally. We adopted 2 babies with an agency in Dayton. Hang in there. Sometimes it take a long time, but the right one will come along eventually.
Take care,
Chris
Advertisements
we are a columbus family that finally got matched after being licensed almost a year. we went through fccs and did straight adoption instead of foster to adopt. took longer. we were approved in october 2008 and did not get matched until july 2009. we started our visits in october! everything takes forever.... be patient. with your parenting experience you are likely very desireable to the agency, it just takes forever!
Thanks for the encouragement! Waiting is hard! We knew we would wait, but we just aren't hearing of hardley any under 8 adoptive situations in Franmklin Co. and feel like the communication has broken down across Ohio. Faith, I know!
yes, faith i suppose and persistence. bug your worker alot. let them know you are really interested. we must have been one of the last families to go through the OAPL listing. we put our name in on a little boy in Feb 09 and heard NOTHING until end of July 09. and i think we put our name in on like 20 kids. there is a national listing that OH may be using now adoptuskids.com it may be easier to use that listing as you actually submit your homestudy and you do get some info from the agency....
I have been going through a lot since March of this year. Can anyone tell me anything about kinship adoption through JFS. I think they are dragging things out and yet at the same time they keep giving me more time with my Grandchildren. I actually get to go with the Foster mother to 2 Doctor's appointments this month. Then at the same time they tell me I have to have a second background check done even tho I just did this in March of this year, and they said because of the Holidays some things have been pushed back. I can't help but feel nervous about any Government office, I always feel like they don't tell the truth most of the time.
Can I ask for a copy of my background check and ask why they want a second one done? Am I allowed to do that?
Advertisements
[FONT=Century Gothic]Does anyone have girls 12-14 years old? May be our children get befriended??[/FONT] ;):D
[FONT=Century Gothic]My 13 year old is a very good loyal friend. [/FONT]
I don't know if anyone is still posting here, but we are in Columbus. We have a 3.5 year old dd, who we adopted through a private agency and a her 2.5 year old half bio brother. They are our world, and we feel so lucky to have them in our lives. We would like more children in the next few years, but we have no more money (or way of borrowing money) to go the private route. So, we are considering doing foster to adopt. We were foster care certified in Maine, but the lisence is expired.
AdoptInMe
I don't know if anyone is still posting here, but we are in Columbus. We have a 3.5 year old dd, who we adopted through a private agency and a her 2.5 year old half bio brother. They are our world, and we feel so lucky to have them in our lives. We would like more children in the next few years, but we have no more money (or way of borrowing money) to go the private route. So, we are considering doing foster to adopt. We were foster care certified in Maine, but the lisence is expired.
Hi, :Dwhere in Columbus are you?? We are in Dublin area.
I have not visited this Columbus forum for awhile, until I got a message from you.
My daughter will be 14 this month. She is our lives too. She is a sweetiepie.
Good luck to you in all you are doing.
Laura.
Hello onehappymom. We are pretty close to you. We're in Columbus, just over the border of Hilliard. Your daughter is beautiful!
Advertisements
Hello,
Would you mind sharing your story with me. My husband and I are in the process of trying to adopt through FCCS and we are nervous that we won't get a placement or that it will be difficult to hear back from children we inquire about online? Did you have to go through any of this with FCCS? Any info would help.
Hi! Welcome to the boards. My husband and I just finalized our second adoption from FCCS. Our first was placed with us at 10 days and adopted at 2.5 years. Our second was placed with us at 14 months and adopted at 3.5 years. Are you dual licensed as foster / adopt? I think it is exceedingly rare to be placed with an infant if you are only licensed to adopt.
I never made an internet inquiries. It seems to me that most of the kids on the photolisting, especially the youngest ones, were already placed with a family who wanted to adopt them. But I thought the Ohio Adoption Photo listing actually went away?
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions :)