Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi, this is Sally, my husband and I've just decided we want to adopt. We have some questions about what kind of agency we should choose. What things we should be looking for in them? We want to adopt a new born in a closed adoption.
MOst domestic agencies do not do closed adoptions unless the birthparents request that they want no contact.
I don't mean to offend, as you are entitled to your feelings and opinions, but I strongly believe that open adoption is in the best interest of the child (I am the adoptive mom of a son in an open adoption). I would urge you to do some research on the subject before disregarding it as an option.
Good luck on your journey!
Advertisements
Most agencies are going to require at least what they call "semi-open". Really, even if you don't think you want contact with the birthparents, how hard would it be to send them letters and pictures a few times a year? I don't even know of any agencies that don't require at least semi-open and we researched MANY agencies when beginning our process.
Ironically, I'm an adoptive mother in what has basically become a closed adoption by birthmom's choice. I really wish for the contact you're trying to avoid. I can only hope and pray that our daughter's birthmom will change her mind and allow us and our daughter into her life.
My husband and I used a local organization titled AASK. We have two school age siblings as an adoptive placement. I know this organization also has a birthparent program and we know a few couples who have had infants placed recently. The good news is it is fairly inexpensive too. The bad news is that you may not know the exact circumstances from which the children come from. The organization will give you as much information as they know but of course they don't always know everything. I hope this helps you.
I'm not in Arizona, and i adopted internationally. But, I just wanted to say, that if you are just starting the process, the idea of an open adoption can be overwhelming. I encourage you to do some research on what it really means, talk to other adoptive parents, talk to agencies and then make up your mind. You may still want a closed adoption, but you may not.
Good luck to you on your journey.
Hello! I recently joined this group and had the same question regarding knowing which agency to best work with. There are so many to choose from and I want to ask the right questions. My husband and I attended a recent AASK orientation and were literally told that if we were looking to adopt, they weren't the agency for us. Their primary focus is on foster care and they said they only had 8 newborn adoptions last year. That was a bummer, but at least marked one off the huge list of choices =) Any other advise you have to offer? Thanks!
-Natalie
Advertisements