Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone,
I'm shaken by a nasty email that I received this morning from one of the other moms that we travelled to Viet Nam with. Now, mind you, we spent 3 weeks together with no problems.
I want to do a series of interviews of families who have recently adopted from VN, so I reached out to the families that I know first (she was one of them). I asked if they would be willing to answer some questions about their experience.
Well...I was told in no uncertain terms (and lots of caps locked sentiments) that I am no expert, I've only been to VN once, the advice that I give is "No Good" and on and on.
Not only am I beyond shocked, but I feel attacked. I hate to second guess my work, but that's how I feel now. I responded in a very polite way and offered her the chance to discuss what she feels is so inaccurate.
Has this kind of thing happened to anyone else and how did you handle it? I know I shouldn't let one person make me feel inadequate and ostracized, but it's still fresh. Can anyone talk me down? :hissy:
Yeah, that's Mirah Riben, author, all over. She's huge critic of my writing, you know. Apparently thinks I'm a talentless yahoo with no writing skills.
Advertisements
Is it too much to ask for quotation marks around assanine quotes?
Headache? I got nauseous reading it!
Alright, alright. I found them. Jeez!
It's been a rough morning.
[URL="http://editor.adoptionblogs.com/index.php/weblogs/adoption-human-trafficking"]I discovered I have an anti-Fan club. [/URL]
I am just glad that I chose to write about nesting this week. LOL
I hope all of you can get a good laugh out of this (if not now, then soon) and continue with your excellent writing. If your writing was not effective, then you would not be getting the personal slams. Bashing is what people resort to when they no longer have a legitimate point to support their position.
The silver lining is that our page views should be WAY up this month. :)
- Faith
Advertisements
Nesting was such a safe bet this week! LOL
As for those page views, yes, we are averaging about 2,000 more page views per day than we did last month.
You're all doing a great job!
Thank you. I am getting old and my eyes are tired ;-)
BTW Mirah has decided to start flaming me. My inbox was loaded this morning and it was all from her.
You're getting old? Paaaleeeeese! You're the springiest and chickiest of spring chickens.
I wondered when she was going to get around to that tactic. She has worse up her sleeve, I'm sure. She's a very creepy woman.
Advertisements
Yes, I have gotten this type of response before. There is a woman on an email list that I frequent. She picks my words apart and lets me know just how much I don't know.
But I have a wider body of knowledge about Ukrainian adoption. She adopted in 2007. I adopted in 2000 and have seen a lot more then she has. I think my "voice of experience" just annoys the crap out of her. She wants to know everything.
Here is my habit for dealing with this type of thing.
I recoil and reject it. Typically I won't read the post or email all the way through. I can feel my feelings getting hurt, so I push away.
I will ask myself, "am I the mean one?" I answer myself, "no". Then I read the post all the way through this time. And I am looking to see if this person:
a) has a valid point
b) has a mental disease
c) has thin skin because of family issues, getting ready to travel, etc...
Lisa, have you dealt with anti-adoption folks before?
There are about 5 people in the United States who are 100% anti-adoption. And it sometimes takes years for them to let go of a thought.
And Marsha isn't as strong willed as some of the Australian Origins folks. Hopefully Di doesn't drop by.
I have been around adoption/anti-adoption writing since 1999. And this last week has been fairly mild.
Great advice, Angela.
As for the anti-adoption folks, I never knew there was such a thing. My experience with adoption is nil. (Brandy and Sandra have been coaching me along - and reading all these blogs has helped.)
Advertisements
Angela,
I'm guessing she has been a bit embarrassed by Mirah/Marsha in this fray. She also seems to be busy right now tearing apart birth mothers who don't worship at her feet.
Di must hold the 'narrow agenda' title.