Advertisements
Advertisements
I have been trying to potty train my 2 yr old, who wil be 3 in September. Today, he was wearing "big boy" underwear. He had just gone potty and all the sudden he walked next to me and made a HUGE puddle! He does this all the time. I would think he's just not ready, but if I put a pull up on him he will keep it dry all day!
I just don't know what to do. I can't keep buying pull-ups/diapers. He does need them at nap and bedtime, but I would think if he can potty all day and keep bugs bunny (we use generic pull-ups and diapers) dry why can't he keep his Superman underwear, that he begged for, dry??????
So last night after dinner, I tell ds to go into the bathroom and go potty. I ask dh to go check on him after awhile. DS went and hid behind his door and made a huge puddle on the floor.
I don't get it!!!
Then he did wake up in the middle of the night, "I gotta go poop" and he did, in the potty.
I am at a loss for what to do. I can't keep buying diapers and right now, I refuse to put him in them except nap and bedtime.
Surely someone has some suggestions??
Advertisements
gosh, it's been so long! my first thought is this.... he is attempting it. usually pooping in the potty is the last thing they do. sounds to me like he just doesn't have his "timing" down yet. but he is CLOSE!!!!! hang in there!!!!!! some kids just take a little longer, or need a little more "coaching".
Thanks. I am patient with him, except when he runs off instead of going into the bathroom like I told him to. Then I don't really blow up at him, I just feel frustrated, and I'm sure that rubs off on him, too.
Here's an unpopular suggestion, but it can be effective. Don't buy ANY pull-ups, even for naps. (cringe!! Don't throw things!) Get some plastic pants to wear over the big boy undies, and don't switch back and forth between undies and diapers. The plastic pants help, somewhat, to keep the puddle localized, but won't eliminate puddling and dribbles on the floor or in the bed when accidents happen.
This means more work for you. :flowergift: Sorry. More laundry, more puddles, etc. but this worked with my two oldest kids.
My third child was just way out of the box...in retrospect maybe we should have waited until he was 4 years old. I'm not sure. Frankly, he would still be on the bottle (at age 6) if we let him, so I'm not sure how long he'd have clung to the diapers. He is emotionally a bit delayed and the whole potty training thing was an interesting time. Ask me some day and we'll hire babysitters and get some coffee and I'll tell the whole ordeal! LOL
Advertisements
Thanks Barksum! That is what I did with my oldest, once diapers were off, they were off.
With this one, he still needs them at night or else none of us will sleep much. We will be going and changing sheets more times than I have sheets to change. He's a big night time wetter, even when I cut drinks off at a certain time.
He made it all day yesterday without any accidents!!!!!!! :clap:
Good for your Ds!! If you only have to have diapers at night that isn't TOO bad. My oldest was wearing diapers for nap and bed...but TOOK THEM OFF after I would tuck her in! :eek: I'd go in and the bed would be sopping. Ugh. Happily it was only a couple of months before she was dry all night. Phew!
Keep up the good work. :)
we didn't do pull ups either.... we did it the old fashioned way, like Barksum recommended. Not as "neat and tidy", but I think much more effective. He sounds like he is almost there!!!!
I did it the old fashioned way with my oldest and it worked. My youngest, it didn't work! He is getting there, though! :clap:
Advertisements
Isn't potty training the craziest thing?? My daughter (who is on the young side for it, but getting it) had a crazy morning of peeing everywhere but the potty. What kid pees twice and poops once in the course of 20 minutes?!?! (all on the floor) MINE. (other days there are no accidents at all)
It's summertime, so I'd say lots of time outside in the undies is good.
Do you think the undies could be a reward?? Something along the lines of your naked ( or in undies you don't love) until you go in the potty and then you can wear the undies you love?
Bribery is at times, the most effective tool!!
Well yes it's summer, and I'm in TX, but we've had tons of rain. It's rained every day except 2 days for months now. Seriously! I have standing water in my back yard and our grass is so high, but you can't push a mower (or at least not ours) through it because of all the water and mush. yuck!
DS gets cold easily. I've been letting him run around in just a shirt and undies. He has to wear cloth training pants until he can make it w/o accidents. Yesterday, no accidents so today he got to choose and he chose Superman undies. So far today, no accidents. So far...*crosses fingers*. Hopefully he'll make it the rest of the day!!!!