Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
This is my fist post. I live in rual Iowa and mu fiancee' and I are thinking about adopting. But we are getting conflicting information. I hope someone here is from Iowa and can help.
This is what I did yesterday...
I called IowaKidsNet and also the Iowa Foster & Adoptive Parent Assn. IowaKidsNet is sending me a packet for us to fill out and after they get it and check us out we can go to a three hour orientation meeting to decide if we want to proceed with foster care and/or adoption.
I told the person I was also looking at international options too and was getting info from as many sources as possible. She understands. She did make a comment about wondering why people in this country would adopt internationally when there are so many kids needing a home domestically.
Anyway, I told her our goal is to adopt and she said many people get a dual license to foster and adopt. I explained we are worried about foster care because we don't want to get attached then a child and then it be given back to birth parents or something. She said some people who get licensed for both foster care and adoption stipulate that they only want children whose birth parents have had their rights terminated or are about to have them terminated. She also said getting a boy between newborn to two isn't a problem. (that is wht we would like because I have never had a child and my fiancee' cannot have any more kids since having a hysterectamy and she already has a 19 year old daughter)
It all sounded pretty good.
I had left a voice mail for someone at the Iowa Foster & Adoptive Parent Assn. before I talked to the lady at IowaKidsNet. Later someone from the Iowa Foster & Adoptive Parent Assn. called back. I explained I talked to IowaKidsNet and she told me she was going to suggest I do that anyway. So I told her everything IowaKidsNet told me. This person from Iowa Foster & Adoptive Parent Assn. seemed to think that info was wrong. She said the likelihood was small that out license would be approved if we only wanted a child with birth parents whose rights are terminated and the age restriction.
So that was really different from what I had heard from the first person. I wish I knew which is correct.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
---
Nate
Advertisements