Advertisements
Advertisements
Just wanted to introduce myself to the community! I live in Ogden and have been with my partner for 8 years. For the past 4 years we've been considering all options that are available to us in Utah and have found that joint-guardianship is the closest we'll get to having a child. We're still in the first stages of finding a bmother. We desperately want a child and have such a tremendous support system ..the child would have 3 sets of grandparents, 3 sets of great-grandparents and a multitude of cousins, aunts and uncles that all live nearby and are so excited that we're taking this step.
Since we'll be dealing with a guardianship situation I wasn't sure if this would be an appropriate site for the subject, but I haven't found much out there that would be. I thought I'd give it a try anyway!
Thanks & Hello!
hi i also just joined and iam from ogden and im not to sure yet how to go about the adoption steps can you shed a little light on the guardianship you are tlking about thanks
Advertisements
Is there a reason you're pursuing guardianship? That type of arrangement is usually not permanent as it doesn't involve a termination of parental rights beforehand.
Hi Remarie & mnmomma!
In Utah, my partner and I can't legally adopt. It's unfortunate, but true. The way around that is "guardianship". The Birthmother goes to the court and tells the judge that she believes "so & so" are, in her opinion, good people and deems them fit to raise her child. It's not that uncommon of a thing here in Utah. Usually it involves family members or friends of the b-mother, but there are cases of people in my situation going about it this way. In fact, we were very close to adding to our family a few years ago..when a b-mother committed suicide and her family wanted nothing to do with the child. Unfortunately, the father, who was in prison for multiple drug offenses came forth and claimed the little boy....that was one of the hardest things to do. So, yes, three years later we are on the search again, hoping to add to our family. Since my last post, my partner and I have been together for 10+ years now...making a considerably bigger salary :) and have started some major changes to our house...including a nursery (mainly in hopes that one day it will be used by that special little one). Anyway....I guess, that's that. :D
Thanks so much for responding to my post!
Hi! I'm also in Ogden. It's good to know there are a few others out there.
We've been trying to adopt for the past four years with LDS Family Services but are getting no where.
We're just starting the process now to become foster parents in the hopes of being able to foster-adopt.
The waiting's the worst!!!!