Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm in the beginning process of adopting an older child, so I started looking at schools, etc in my city. I have a child already, but she's so young, we have never looked into schooling before - so I'm new to applications, etc. And one application bothered me. It asked if the child was adopted. Is that "normal" - it's offensive to me. Maybe I'm sensitive, but it feels like a stigma. They didn't ask if the child had behavioral issues, learning disorders, etc. only if they were adopted.
Is this common? FWIW, it's a private religious school.
No, it's not normal. I would ask the school why they want to know. Just a friendly inquiry that you have never seen that question on a school enrollment form and were curious why they are asking. If you're okay with the answer then you could ask the school how many adopted children they have attending. If they are asking on the application, they should have the figures. Their answers should give you more insight into what's going on.
You can learn a lot about a private school just by reading the questions on their application. I had found one school that I really liked for my daughter. When I went to fill out the application they wanted me to sign that kids take 6-8 weeks max to adjust to an new school so if my child continued to show problems after that time I would agree to quietly disenroll my child at the end of the first semester. I never filled out that application. If you are uncomfortable with the application, keep looking.
Advertisements
Thanks for your response! You know, before looking into adoption I probably wouldn't have even noticed the question. But now it stuck out at me and I felt defensive. You're right though.
You might ask why they ask the question. It might be a way they try to be sensitive to adoption issues or use to make sure they include awareness or education in the school.
And it also might be used to help everyone know what ppwk is accepted etc. For example, if your child is not finalized yet, you will not have the amended b/c. To enroll a child in school you have to have a b/c. But if you are in the adoption stages then you can use the adoption decree/ppwk etc. to bypass those requirements and then add the b/c later when you get it.
Now...if the process is all said and done and it's not information the school would need or you want to share, then I would find it a bit "huh?" and ask them why they want this information.
Private school applications ask a variety of 'not normal' questions regarding a child's relation to their parent/guardian. I realize that by enrolling in a private school that you agree to abide by their way of doing things, but private matters (adoption, relation) are frankly not their business and has no bearing on their learning.