Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi all,
To piggyback on Ed Dad's thread (Dora, D-D-Dora, swiper no swiping! Sorry, couldn't resist), I/we are having some issues in our household.
THE GOOD: The child I thought would never talk and who eats like a bird, now never shuts up-literally, is either talking, making truck noises or singing, ALL day)-and also eats better. Not great but better than he was.
THE BAD: He doesn't have temper tantrums. No, he THROWS. Everything. He nearly took out FIL the other day-threw a small (metal) truck at him. AT CLOSE RANGE. We've tried time outs and they are not working. He does cover his face after he throws, as if to say, I know I did wrong. I am *about* to ignore it. But not sure if that's the answer. Help.
THE UGLY: For more than a week now, he has taken NO naps. NO NAPS! And this was BEFORE the time change, so it's not that. I cannot, repeat, CANNOT have a child that doesn't nap. I'll take 1/2 hr-hour even! We do do stuff during the day, so it's not like we're sitting at home and he's not getting his wiggles out. I checked his mouth and it's not his molars either. (He has always been a good sleeper, always. Has slept thru the night since he was 6 mos old and ever since. 1 nap a day (until now) since 14 mos but always 2-3 hours and sleeps 10-11/hrs at night.)
With the throwing and now, no naps, I am just about pulling out my hair. (Add to that, a DH who works from home...yikes. Mommy needs a hobby, LOL).
Any advice or comiseration needed.
I think a lot of us are in your boat. Kelcee does throw some tamtrums but they don't last long. She is also throwing things. I take that object away and put it up high for a bit. She knows where it went but she is understanding, for the most part, that she won't be getting it back for a bit.
We let her know that it hurts us when she throws things and hits us with them by making a very sad face and sometimes pretending to cry. It gets her attention. Not sure if it would work for you.
Sorry, not much help but definately lots of understanding.
Advertisements
Denice,
Forgot to mention, have done the "take away the toy you threw" thing. He doesn't care. Just moves on to another toy and/or just accepts that he threw it and now it's gone.
Hrrumpf! I shudder to think that 3's are worse. I don't think I'll survive!
sadiegirl
THE BAD: he THROWS. Everything. He nearly took out FIL the other day-threw a small (metal) truck at him. AT CLOSE RANGE. We've tried time outs and they are not working. He does cover his face after he throws, as if to say, I know I did wrong. I am *about* to ignore it. But not sure if that's the answer. Help.
Ooohhhhh...been there, done that, have the bruises to show for it. Nothing like taking a full sippy cup of water to the face when you're least expecting it. The other thing our DD has a penchant for is ripping our glasses off our faces and bending the frames. Drives me nuts.
I don't have any super helpful hints for you. One of the things I've done with our DD when she's thrown something and hurt me is to really play it up (helps to have some acting talent). I found the disappointment, cold shoulder routine works the best at getting through to her that what she did was wrong and that it hurt someone else. Of course I only let this go on about 30 seconds or so before I'm the one consoling her and then we have a talk about not throwing things since it might hurt someone.
sadiegirl
(Dora, D-D-Dora, swiper no swiping! Sorry, couldn't resist),
Ooohhhh maaaannnn!!! :)