Advertisements
Advertisements
I, as an adult adoptee (42), almost three years into reunion, say what everyone else is saying here. Slow and steady wins the race. I think age can play into it. When I was 18, my feelings of searching were totally different than mine as an adult. I also had much to deal with as a young adult, I married fairly young, (21) had two small children, a husband I loved and adored but who was very sick with diabetes. Losing my husband and father three weeks apart and having to raise three small children took up my early thirties. After remarrying and the birth of my sixth, yes sixth, child really put something in me to search. But with all the ups and downs and rollercoaster rides that come with reunion, I don't think I personally could have done it at a younger age. I had a very strong sense of self when I went searching. When you are 18, you have much different things on your mind, other things pre-occuppy you. You feel like you have all the time in the world. Be patient and be happy that she is willing to have contact. I have heard many bmom's here who have been in contact with late teens, early adults, and this is very similar. Good luck. I know it isn't easy. We are thinking of you are and hear for you to sound off against, vent, question, whatever.
Carolyn