Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
I'm needing to know if I have to terminate the rights of a deceased parent. Also can I just adopt them or does their bio father have to terminate his rights and we do it together?
My soon-to-be husband had full custody of the his boys after the divorce and then their mother passed away. We've been together for three years and will be getting married in the summer.
I'm going to be doing as much as I can w/o a lawyer. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Michelle
My guys:
Cainan, 10 years old
Gavin, 8 years old
You will have to be married before you can file to adopt your stepchildren. Most states require that you are married for at least a year prior to filing with the courts for an adoption.
As for the actual process, you do not need to terminate the mother's rights if she has passed. You will need to provide a copy of her death certificate to the court when you file for a stepparent adoption, and the process should be fairly quick for you. This type of situation is one of the easiest when it comes to getting a stepparent adoption completed.
Advertisements
miche78
Hi,
I'm needing to know if I have to terminate the rights of a deceased parent. Also can I just adopt them or does their bio father have to terminate his rights and we do it together?
My soon-to-be husband had full custody of the his boys after the divorce and then their mother passed away. We've been together for three years and will be getting married in the summer.
I'm going to be doing as much as I can w/o a lawyer. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Michelle
My guys:
Cainan, 10 years old
Gavin, 8 years old
I am right there with you. However I can not find any forms with out going to a lawyer or paying hungdreds of dollars. Mine are 6 and 7. We live in Montague County.
I am trying to adopt my step daughter. Her biological father is not on her birth certificate and he is deceased. I live in Texas. Did you guys find anything out? I can't afford an attorney :(
I am in the same boat ! Did you find an answer
I am trying to adopt my step daughter. Her biological father is not on her birth certificate and he is deceased. I live in Texas. Did you guys find anything out? I can't afford an attorney :(
Hi do you know exactly how I go about adopting my son? ME and his dad have been married 23 years and he's 15 years old and his biological mother signed papers in front of a notary giving me all rights to him. From the day he was born he came home with me and has been with us ever since and when he was 2 she passed away. Can you please give me some advice and answers as to how I go about adopting him? Thanks so much for your time God Bless
Advertisements