Advertisements
Advertisements
I want to collect some ideas from you guys.
I am single, I want to adopt. I have to keep my job. I am a lab technician, so I am not earning a lot of money.
How can you manage a kid and job as a single parent in the US? What did you guys do when the kid is sick or during the long summer vaction, when you have to work but the kid is under the age of 12 and not in school?
(since I am originally from Germany I dont know much about the american system yet)
What possibilities are their apart from the expensive Nannies and AuPairs and such. Especially when you dont have family living near by.
Well sick days are just that, you call in sick - something just can't be avoided. Most companies give you x amount of sick days after that you start using up vacations days.
As for summer vacations or days of from school - when my daughter was young the local Park district ran a before and after "day care" program for the kids. They scheduled full day sessions when the schools had a day off and ran most of the summer, too. NOt sure where you are at in the US but most larger areas have similar programs. Call the Park District and see what they have to offer. If you are in a major city there is probably a YMCA that runs an after school program, too. Your local school may have information too.
Best of Luck!
Advertisements
I am currently fostering, with the hope to adopt. . .Someday.
I have been fortunate that my kids have gotten sick on my Vacation or my days off. I think I have had to call in once??? in two years. Now that probably is not normal, but that is how it has been. Sometimes an ear infection or in one case, asmatha(minor, needed increased treatment or a prednisone shot) I would go to urgent care which was open after work until 8, and they were good to go to school the next day. Probably best to assume that you will have to call in at some point. My Mom has helped me out a bit too with daycare off days, ect.
I have a wonderful friend that watches my little one while I am at work. I try to return the favor whenever she needs someone. Is there someone you know, or can get to know that might be able to do in home care for you? Otherwise, Daycare is your option, look for one that makes you comfortable right away, if you feel iffy, move on. There are a ton of them.
You could post on "Mom's " sites online to get a referral perhaps.
I have also used nannies.com to look for caregivers, they have all kinds, not just nannies. There are several sites like it, just do a search for nannies in ohio, or wherever.
Good luck!
There are camps and daycares that will provide your child with activities and supervision during the summer. Also, make friends with your neighbors and you may find another parent who is in the same boat and you can share ideas. Good luck.
Check out employer programs. I work for a large company. They have several back-up childcare programs available. I rely mostly on working from home or using a PTO day or my parents will step in if it isn't something that requires Mom.
You will have to build a network, but it does take time.
Check out the camp programs etc.
It is much harder when the child is school age. Full time daycare was much easier to manage.
I hope that you are able to put a plan in place, if adoption is right for you. Good Luck.
It's hard but you work it out. I have a huge support network and I don't think I could do it without it. In fact, I know I couldn't. My family lives three hours away so I have to rely on some wonderful friends A LOT. I have one friend who picks my daughter up from school three days a week. In the summer, she went to the YMCA which had a great summer program which she really enjoyed. I also have a wonderful employer who is fully supportive of my adoption and understand when I need to take her to doctor's appointments and whatever else comes up. I had to learn to ask for help, something I normally hate to do, and not be shy about it.
Advertisements