Advertisements
Advertisements
This all new to me, so I hope you will not mind my questions.
My mother and 4 siblings were scattered to various Central Vermont foster homes around 1933. When I went to City Hall to look at marriage and birth records for the surname Hutchinson, I found a birth record for Lewis Earl Hutchinson, a full-term infant born in Burlington. He is definitely mother's brother.
I could look at birth records at Burlington City Hall to find records for males born on that day in Burlington, but I was wondering if it was the custom to alter the exact date or time of birth for a child destined for adoption? A part of me cannot believe it would so easy to figure out an adoptee's new name.
Update:
I did go to Burlington, Vermont, City Hall and looking at the records was free for that particular community. I looked at that specific date going through each letter of the alphabet and found 3 births: 1 male, 2 females. The male had Wite-Out over the name but when I put the bound record page up to the window, I saw the adopted name! (Someone from the clerk's office did tell me Wite-Out over the name did mean "adopted.")
I pursued the name through Ancestry.com and Findagrave.com and found that he was deceased. The Potter County, Texas message board on Ancestry.com was particularly helpful.
I also reached out to Washington County, Vermont message board on Ancestry, hoping to find confirmation of my discovery. Someone of that surname did write back and was unaware of any adoptions or knowledge of the adoptive parents but said she would ask around. I haven't heard back.
My uncle died nearly 30 years ago when he was struck by a pickup truck while crossing a street in Amarillo, Texas so the ending was a sad one.
I have only one loose end and that is to have my mother request access, with her standing as a birth sibling, to the adoptions records if available. I have the form for her to sign but I haven't brought to her yet. If I remember correctly, if done by the state, there was record, if done by a church or other organization, there may not be, especially in the 1940s or before.
Advertisements