Advertisements
Advertisements
We are adopting domestically, but in a sibling adoption situation, so I thought that there might be some additional information that International Adoptive Parents could provide.
We will be traveling with our 20 month old and 3 month old as soon as we get ICPC clearance. Anyone have any tips for this? The older one is quite active and the younger quite fussy. The doctor we saw today recommended Benedryl, but I didn't like him or his opinions very much.
Thanks in advance!!
Hi minibus,
We are adopting two from Russia and will be traveling in the next month with an 11 month old and a 21 month old. We purchased a third seat so we could change them right there and not have to get up and down to go to the nasty airplane bathroom repeatedly. My friend bought me these diapees and wipees cases that hold a travel size wipes case and 1-2 diapers at a time making changes so much easier so you don't have the yank down an entire diaper bag and route through for diapers each time. I HATE the Benadryl idea...HATE it!! I'm with you. I cannot tell you how many peopel have suggested that. I would NEVER do that, whether suggested by a Dr. or not, I would never administer medicine - DRUGS - when they are not needed for health reasons. I wish I had more suggestions to offer, basically, I just wanted to wish you good luck!! :) Maybe a portable DVD player with movies would work to entertain the 20-month old if the plane will not have them??
Have a great day!!
Advertisements
I understand your opposition to using drugs when you don't feel they are necessary, but for conversation's sake, any sleep aide you would buy over the counter: Tylenol PM, Simply Sleep, etc are usually just benadryl. It is a safe drug to use when you need sleep.
On the other hand, these drugs sometimes work in reverese on kids and make them hyper, so if you decide to use them, test them out at a time that you won't be cooped up on a plane for 9 hours.
There are times that baby NEEDS sleep and using these drugs would not be a bad thing. This could include when you are traveling from Russia to the US.
My husband is a nurse and he would feel completely comfortable giving our children benadryl to help with sleeping.
A DVD player with movies, a new fairly quiet toy so others are not disturbed seem to be winners. With that said our son cried (actually screamed) for 23 hours straight on two planes a a fairly lenthy layover (all with my DH as he travelled to get him alone). He was exhausted, had a cold, and the best thing would could have done for him was to give him the benedryl that I had packed so he sould rest (DH checked it and didn't put it into the carry on, which he regrets now). It made his homecoming traumatic for him as well as my DH and actually affected their bonding. FYI I am not usually in favor of medicating for these reasons.
If you don't feel comfortable medicating your children don't do it. But maybe find out the dosage in accordance with their weight just in case. Best of luck!
Hi,
According to randomized medical studies, benadryl is no better than a placebo at getting kids to sleep and can cause negative and counterproductive side effects, like nervousness and dry mouth, that make kids more irritable. See:
"Benadryl doesn't improve babies' sleep"
[url=http://www.consumerreports.org/health/free-highlights/manage-your-health/benadryl_babies_sleep.htm]Consumer Reports Health - "Benadryl doesn't improve babies' sleep"[/url]
Advertisements
Ok, my little guy was 9 months the first time we flew, 14 months the second time. The first trip he slept 70% of the flight (no meds). The second trip he had a bit of a cold so I used a form of robitussin for babies. It helped keep his nose and sinus' clear (pressure is difficult for adults let alone little ones)... but if you are concerned I spoke with someone on the plane about numbing drops she had for her babies' ears. May not be a bad idea but may not be good either... to not know when your babies ears are hurting from the pressure.... check with a doctor. For my son benadryl keeps him awake (as it does me... ) so it is OUT OF THE QUESTION for us!! LOL!
Now... reguarding the kinetics of flying... domestically you are looking at pressurization of about 6500 ft... equal to that of being on the top of a mountain...the air is thin and if you and your child are not from elevated regions... there is an increased likelyhood that sleep will be induced while flying. My advice is to time take off for feeding/naptime... even if that means for a few days earlier you adjust their schedules. Plus wear their butts out before getting to the airport... or while in the airport... the public understands and can appreciate your efforts with wearing them out... so unstrap them and let them explore (with you of course) the airport environment...
Also make sure to have sippycup/bottle ready for the take off.... as you asend their ears will need to "pop" just like yours... sucking helps that.
If you can't tell I work in the aviation industry... so I am more than happy to help you if you have questions...
Another thing that is helpful... get a carrier seat for your child. There are some that fit kids up to 30 lbs... carriers help with a squirmy kid, plus depending on how much stimulation your child is used to pre-adoption they may need their own space and it may be difficult to keep them strapped in with the airplane seat belt... the carrier idea would definitely work well for two infants (though you may have to change the straps) but it would secure one while taking care of the other. Just a thought....
Flight attendants have the ability to warm bottles and milk is always on flights... just be specific about how to warm it... hot water from the airplane may not be good for 0-6 months... what I did was have the bottle ready and then the flight attendant added about an ounce of hot water... enough to warm the formula. But they can always fill a container with hot water for you to put a bottle in... just a heads up...
Oh and airport security lets to carry liquids that are for a baby or small child.
Jessi_76
We purchased a third seat so we could change them right there and not have to get up and down to go to the nasty airplane bathroom repeatedly.
I'm assuming you've already taken your trip, but a bit of food for thought for the future, and to other's considering the idea, I'd respectfully suggest that for the olfactory comfort of your fellow passengers, please don't change diapers in the main cabin. Also, if there are any spills, someone on the next flight could very well be stuck in that seat.
I would never administer medicine - DRUGS - when they are not needed for health reasons.
Do you give Tylenol or whatever for pain? Pain meds aren't really required for health reasons, they're for the comfort of the patient. If a baby needed sleep but was unable to rest because of noise, distractions, etc., on the flight, I don't see anything wrong with it. Lack of rest is an invitation to illness. If you're medicating the child for your comfort, I could see the objection. I think it's different if you're doing it for theirs.
I just wanted to mention something since Joe brought up spills. If you happen to spill something on an airplane please don't try to just clean it up yourself and not tell a flight attendant. You are not charged for clean up! But here is what the flight attendant will do... the seats are generally a plastic sealed cushion with a cloth covering... when you land the info for the seat number is given to cleaning or maintenance and they have a fresh stock of seat covers to replace it so that the next person doesn't sit in a wet seat... nor the cleaner (not knowing what the substance is) puts their hand in it... oh and one more little tidbit... don't leave diapers behind... it is not nice for the cleaners to stick a hand in a seat back pocket and walaaah poopy pants!
Sorry... but it is true!
JGarrick
Do you give Tylenol or whatever for pain? Pain meds aren't really required for health reasons, they're for the comfort of the patient. If a baby needed sleep but was unable to rest because of noise, distractions, etc., on the flight, I don't see anything wrong with it. Lack of rest is an invitation to illness.
Cold meds like Benadryl are no longer considered safe for use by children younger than 2. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration in January began advising against the use of cold medicine for children younger than 2 because of many cases of accidental overdose.
Furthermore, as I said above, randomized trials showed that they were no more effective than placebos at getting young kids to sleep, and often had counterproductive side effects such as nervousness that retarded sleep.
Advertisements