Advertisements
Advertisements
Greetings,
I am in the process of assisting my wife in compiling the paperwork for her ex-husband to terminate rights for our son.
I have downloaded the form and will fill it out and get someone to look it over for me. I do have a couple of questions though.
1. Does the form have to be filed in the county in which the child was born?
2. Should the parts of the form that refer to county and city refer to the local county where the form is being filed or the location of where the ex-husband is at?
3. Would I just call to find out which district court I would put on the form?
I really appreciate any help in advance and am looking forward to officially having rights to my son.
Thank you again!
Davis
DavisPhillips
Greetings,
I am in the process of assisting my wife in compiling the paperwork for her ex-husband to terminate rights for our son.
I have downloaded the form and will fill it out and get someone to look it over for me. I do have a couple of questions though.
1. Does the form have to be filed in the county in which the child was born?
2. Should the parts of the form that refer to county and city refer to the local county where the form is being filed or the location of where the ex-husband is at?
3. Would I just call to find out which district court I would put on the form?
I really appreciate any help in advance and am looking forward to officially having rights to my son.
Thank you again!
Davis
#1. No. In your county.
#2. Same as #1. In your county.
#3. Typically you wouldn't fill this out until you know what district court is going to handle your case. This is usually done at the clerk's office when you file your petition and get assigned a case# and district court (i.e. they will fill this in for you it would be left blank until then)
One thing I will mention is that if there was ever a court ordered child support or arrangement of some kind you need to have the clerk assign the case to the district court in which that case was handled because that district court has jurisdiction over all matters concerning the child at this point.
Disclaimer
I am not a lawyer I just know these things because I read the entire chapter of TX adoption statutes and I filed my own adoption paperwork (from beginning to end).
Advertisements
Here is what I know from doing this myself.
1. The case must be filed in the county in which the child has lived in for the prior 6 months before filing.
2. Refers to the city/county in which the child resides.
3. The District Clerk will give you the district court your case will be heard in.
Hope this helps!
Advertisements