Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi we are adopting 4 ( we hope!) Can anyone tell me how the Oklahoma adoption subsidy works. I have read we will get it as they are a sib group ect but wondering how much? I have found NACAC site and it says
Basic rates:
Age Rate
0-5 $283.50
6-12 $337.50
13-18 $391.50
Is this how much they offer? or do you have to ask them for this much per child? Unfortunally we will have to have the subsidy as this was all so fast and although we can afforid to pay the bills and feed them we have no extra! ( right now we get nothing as foster parents as we are kenship) . I heard they will try to offer us as little as $200 a kid and then we have to work our way up? is this true?
Wow...lots of questions...but I think I can hit the nail on the head with one answer.
If your child(ren) qualify as a special needs situation, then you will get that much per child, and then once they step into another age bracket, you have to notify your subsidy worker for any increases. They could get more if they have more needs than the typical subsidy covers, but I've never heard of less...it's either that rate or no rate, as far as I know.
Now, sometimes, depending upon the childrens ages, just being a sibling group does not automatically qualify them for subsidy (ie: age 3 and under, group of 2) if their ages or ethnic background do not consider them hard to place.
We do qualify for the subsidy on the simple fact of our kids being a sibling group, but because they were 9 and 10 when we adopted them, they WERE considered harder to place for their ages, and that's why we qualified.
However, the rate you have for 13-18 posted, I think has gone up...I think it's in the 430's now. Actually, all of those totals may be wrong, because we get $729 per month for the 6-12 bracket, which would be $364.50 per child, and we just have straight subsidy...no additional needs tacked on.
***ETA: Also, you may want to check with your worker...if the children are going to be adopted by you, and it's a pre-adoptive placement, our subsidy began the month after the kids were placed...so, while you wouldn't be receiving a foster stiped (which I hadn't heard that kinship fostering went unpaid), you should be able to receive the adoption subsidy pre-placement, as well as clothing vouchers to redeem at K-Mart for the kids some new clothes...we got that as well even though we were an adoptive placement only.***
Advertisements
akcskye
Wow...lots of questions...but I think I can hit the nail on the head with one answer.
If your child(ren) qualify as a special needs situation, then you will get that much per child, and then once they step into another age bracket, you have to notify your subsidy worker for any increases. They could get more if they have more needs than the typical subsidy covers, but I've never heard of less...it's either that rate or no rate, as far as I know.
Now, sometimes, depending upon the childrens ages, just being a sibling group does not automatically qualify them for subsidy (ie: age 3 and under, group of 2) if their ages or ethnic background do not consider them hard to place.
We do qualify for the subsidy on the simple fact of our kids being a sibling group, but because they were 9 and 10 when we adopted them, they WERE considered harder to place for their ages, and that's why we qualified.
However, the rate you have for 13-18 posted, I think has gone up...I think it's in the 430's now. Actually, all of those totals may be wrong, because we get $729 per month for the 6-12 bracket, which would be $364.50 per child, and we just have straight subsidy...no additional needs tacked on.
***ETA: Also, you may want to check with your worker...if the children are going to be adopted by you, and it's a pre-adoptive placement, our subsidy began the month after the kids were placed...so, while you wouldn't be receiving a foster stiped (which I hadn't heard that kinship fostering went unpaid), you should be able to receive the adoption subsidy pre-placement, as well as clothing vouchers to redeem at K-Mart for the kids some new clothes...we got that as well even though we were an adoptive placement only.***
Thank you. It has been so frustrating trying to figure this all out! We just can't afforid to adopt them without help. Who would of knew our lifes would of changed so much in the last year!!( we doubled our family size over night and we are now a family of 8!) We feel so blessed! Our last class for Foster parents is this week. SO we should beable to get foster care payments soon* well they say it will still take 60 or more days after class as its paid a month behind and they said it takes time to put everything in computer*( they are still waiting on our finger prints) But we have had them over 2 months and have got nothing as of yet as we are kenship and needed to do all classes ect.
We was told after the next court date they can give us to a adoption worker then *right now we are just a foster placement * but have been told we can adopt and have did a adoption home study* And Dhs is recommanding we adopt It seems like the wait is so long!! But paperwork wise we are just waiting until the next court date( the last TPR)
I know I had /.have a lot of questions and I am sorry it is just that everything is so new to us( even though I was raised in foster care I was never on this side of it!)
We was told we would need to negotiate the amount with DHS so I was so confused! The children are older and all sisters and brothers we have 3 in the 6 to 12 yr range and one over 13.
Who decides if the children get the higher rate? All the children are in weekly counseling and they all have to have extra hired help for school work ( they are way behind for their grades) We just want to make sure we can meet their needs. Thanks for your help!