Advertisements
Advertisements
Not really a place to debate the issues - more of a "share your polling place stories" - What did you see? Who did you see? What happened? That type of thing.
I know there are a lot of early voters, but I was in line bright and early this morning at 6:15 to cast my ballot in this election.
I was shocked to see a lot of polling place campaigning - sure they were 75 feet away - but we've got a hot ticket item on the ballot here in AZ (Prop 102, if you're interested) and there was a lot of nasty yelling, name calling - the police came...etc.
I felt very uncomfortable - enough so that I am going to do early ballot/mail in ballot next time.
So, share your story? Anything interesting happen where you voted?
I voted in Hollywood and it was amazing to see the quasi pajama clad-grime and spike haired denzions walk like zombies down the middle of the street to stand in the line that was around the block. I was proud...and happy I didn't have to stand next to some of them...as showering must not have been their election day priority...but they were there, the wannabees who weren'tabees who are usually the universally apathetic got out of their cramped studio apartments and voted in the largest turn out I have ever seen.
Also being in a Californian liberal city, it was amazing to stand with so many like minded people...voting for change.
I feel really happy today and my two year old got my sticker...or I would mail mine to ya Blessed :-)
Advertisements
I absentee balloted this year, as did my DH...I have to admit though, that for the first time since 1992 (which was my very first time voting in a presidential election), my heart skipped a beat when I filled in my ballot!
I spent the rest of the day fighting with my co-workers, telling them how disappointed I am in them for not exercising their right to vote.
I also got tired of hearing that their vote doesnt matter, that voting doesnt matter, and that because of freedom of speech, they have the right to complain about who's elected, even though they didn't vote.
I told them that they also have the freedom to be an idiot, but that they don't necessarily have to exercise that right...
I voted last night after work because I didnt want to deal with the long lines today. I ended up having to wait 1 hour & 15 minutes in line. The wait was extremely boring. No one I knew was there & the people next to me werent interested in talking. There were only 2 voting booths, if they'd had more it would have gone a lot faster. It was still worth it though, I'm glad I voted. I hope my vote will count, & my candidate will win, even though it doesnt look too good for him right now.
Had a short, beautiful drive through the countryside to the polling place. No lines, in and out. Gave my sticker to Katie and she wore it around all day. When people asked about why my daughter was wearing an "I voted today" sticker, I just told them that ACORN must have gotten a hold of her :woohoo:
Also stood in line, at a local gas station, behind a young man in a very insulting pro Obama t-shirt (can't print here what it said since it was sickening but you can PM me if you're curious) as he explained to the clerk how he had voted in both Ohio where he used to live and also in Michigan where he currently lives. He also complained that the election officials in both states made him turn his shirt inside out. The clerk then commented on how she hopes Obama "sticks it to the man". I told her that I'm sure the station owners, who are friends of mine, would appreciate her views on that when they have to figure out who to lay off when their taxes get raised.
All in all, it was a very nice day. Mowed the grass probably for the last time this year. Cooked out on the grill. Haven't watched any of the election returns, it doesn't really matter now, anyhow.
I told her that I'm sure the station owners, who are friends of mine, would appreciate her views on that when they have to figure out who to lay off when their taxes get raised.
Gosh, regardless of who one votes for - I hope we never become a country where people are fired for having personal opinions (in this case, political) than those of their bosses.
I know, for a fact, that I do and like the attendant, I have not hid them from anyone - I shouldn't have to...I have a right to have an opinion that differs from that of my employer...
*sigh*
Advertisements
KatiesEd-dad
Also stood in line, at a local gas station, behind a young man in a very insulting pro Obama t-shirt (can't print here what it said since it was sickening but you can PM me if you're curious) as he explained to the clerk how he had voted in both Ohio where he used to live and also in Michigan where he currently lives. .
This is awful! A friend of mine who is Republican knows someone that voted a few time for McCain. Why can't it just be fair?
BrandyHagz
Gosh, regardless of who one votes for - I hope we never become a country where people are fired for having personal opinions (in this case, political) than those of their bosses.
I know, for a fact, that I do and like the attendant, I have not hid them from anyone - I shouldn't have to...I have a right to have an opinion that differs from that of my employer...
*sigh*
Quite true, but I'm also sure that it wasn't in this woman's job description to be announcing her controversial views while behind the counter with many other people in the station while on the time clock. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.
So Ed, if she were spouting her views while on the clock and they were aligned with your's would you still feel the need to threaten her job?
People get excited around election time. Everywhere I've gone over the past week everyone has been talking about the election. In grocery stores, gas stations, eating establishments, etc...same thing. I hope that we never live in a country where we can't talk about our views during election time and have to worry about such a backlash that our jobs are at risk.
I was in and out in about five minutes. Beauty of living in a rural area. We only have three votes in the electoral college and always go red, even though I always vote blue. I had to go for measure eleven though and so Dykstra doesn't beat Johnson. I haven't disliked anyone as much as I dislike Dykstra in a long time.
Advertisements
I voted absentee because I was an election official. I loved the part of helping others cast their ballot and giving them the "I voted" sticker. It was a great day. We had a 75% turn out.
well not really but i did take him in the booth with me and I allowed him to swing the lever and turn the buttons and then swing the lever back he kept saying OBAMA OBAMA open the door for me..... i cried after we were done... he has heard me say numerous times even if Obama doesn"t accomplish all that he said he could/would he would be opening the door for my son. I didn't realize he understood what I meant.
I was a late voter. I voted just after 6pm last night and my polls closed at 7:30pm. I walked into the school and only one other person was there. So many people opted to take advantage of the early voting that it was easy. They had also set up voting for the kids so my daughter (3) voted too. I told her to pick a circle in every square and color it in. When she was done I looked it over. She voted all Democrats except for one -- and that was libertarian. She is a woman after my heart!
Samantha
Advertisements
musemoon
I feel really happy today and my two year old got my sticker...or I would mail mine to ya Blessed :-)
You are too sweet! I am sure your DD wore that sticker with the same class she wears everything else!!!!!