Advertisements
Advertisements
The last news I heard said that the discussions had been 'postponed'. There are still many families who had referrals prior to Sept 1st who are in process to bring their children home. I'm guessing the focus for both governments is on those families.
Advertisements
I wish the adoption program for VN would reopen, but I understand why it's not. We had a wonderful experience adopting our daughter from HCMC in 2007 and would love the opportunity to pursue a second adoption from Vietnam.
U.S. Rep. David Price hopes the United States can soon complete an agreement with Vietnam on international adoptions after a breakdown between the two countries this year.
Vietnam ended its agreement with the United States this fall after the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi said it had found cases of child trafficking and corruption in the country's adoption processes. Vietnam denied any wrongdoing.
The decision left many American families in limbo waiting for children, including constituents of Price, a Chapel Hill Democrat.
The United States has said it wants to be sure that all children adopted from Vietnam are freely given up by parents or are true orphans and not adopted through pressure or bribery.
Price traveled to Vietnam recently and spoke with officials about an agreement being negotiated between the two countries. Immigration issues fall under the oversight of Price's congressional spending subcommittee on Homeland Security.
"We heard expressions of goodwill and a willingness to work this out," Price said. "I don't want to be critical of the Vietnamese government. I know this is a difficult issue for them, but we need assurances that these adoptions are on the up and up."