Advertisements
Advertisements
:clap: We have fostered for several years and have finally gotten to the adoption step.
WE have 3 girls and the adoption should be finalized this spring.
Our question is about the subsidy. We know that it can't go higher than what we receive now, but how much lower can we expect it to go?
We want the girls to be able to do all of the activities that the other kids get to participate in.
:thanks:
I don't know your answer, it really depends on the needs of your children.
this talks about it some:
[URL="http://www.nacac.org/adoptionsubsidy/stateprofiles/utah.html"[/URL]
from the site:
"The maximum rate is equal to the childs rate in foster care, up to $28.25 per day. Most adoption subsidies are considerable less than the maximum rate."
It doesn't say how much less though...
"Families can apply for reimbursement of nonrecurring adoption expenses (travel, home study, attorney fees, etc.) up to $2,000. Families are informed of this possibility during the home study process. Applications must be received 30 days prior to finalization so that the application can be approved prior to finalization as required by law."
Advertisements
oh, good luck with that...we are trying to get everything in order for finalization. Subsidy says there is no money. No one is getting anything right now...so unless you have an awesome caseworker don't expect much.
**edited to add, congrats on the girls!
I have adopted 4 kids through Utah's foster care system and I received between 100 and 275 per child depending on their needs. The best thing to do is document any kinds of special needs they have with letters from therapists, teachers and others.Then make a written request for how much you think is reasonable. Be prepared to ask for a high amount because they will give you less than half of what you ask for.
I just finalized my last adoption and was told I was lucky my subsidy was approved before the economy got so bad and now they are making it more difficult.
Good luck!
onegr8momma
:clap: We have fostered for several years and have finally gotten to the adoption step.
WE have 3 girls and the adoption should be finalized this spring.
Our question is about the subsidy. We know that it can't go higher than what we receive now, but how much lower can we expect it to go?
We want the girls to be able to do all of the activities that the other kids get to participate in.
:thanks:
If the girls are going to be your kids and the adoption subsidy doesn't cover their activities, I hope you'd make sure that ALL kids get to participate in activities and not just your own. In a family with multiple kids, the budget just has to stretch...
greenmama
If the girls are going to be your kids and the adoption subsidy doesn't cover their activities, I hope you'd make sure that ALL kids get to participate in activities and not just your own. In a family with multiple kids, the budget just has to stretch...
Greenmama,
I think she meant the activities portion different than you are assuming. I don't think she was implying that her adopted kids would need funding to participate in activities like her birth kids, I think she was saying that her adopted kids would need funding to participate in activities like other foster kids she has/will have in the home.
This is just my guess, but I wanted to say something because both of you were unclear. In particular, I recommend that we all try not to use the term "your own" because it isn't specific enough and to me it implies a 2nd-best connotation to adopted kids. I personally consider all my kids "my own" and one isn't even finalized yet!
Please understand, I'm not being critical because this terminology is certainly common and accepted. I'm just suggesting that maybe there is a better way to communicate between all of us, and maybe it will even spread to the world outside where adoption is so little understood and often misrepresented.
Advertisements
MilehighDad
Greenmama,
I think she meant the activities portion different than you are assuming. I don't think she was implying that her adopted kids would need funding to participate in activities like her birth kids, I think she was saying that her adopted kids would need funding to participate in activities like other foster kids she has/will have in the home.
This is just my guess, but I wanted to say something because both of you were unclear. In particular, I recommend that we all try not to use the term "your own" because it isn't specific enough and to me it implies a 2nd-best connotation to adopted kids. I personally consider all my kids "my own" and one isn't even finalized yet!
Please understand, I'm not being critical because this terminology is certainly common and accepted. I'm just suggesting that maybe there is a better way to communicate between all of us, and maybe it will even spread to the world outside where adoption is so little understood and often misrepresented.
Of course the kids are "hers" once they are adopted...I just felt as though SHE was setting up a divide between "hers" and "theirs" when it came to financials...and I don't think that's fair at all.
Also look into the YMCA you can apply for a grant or sort and if you qualify get it free for sports ect.
After my ex-wife moved out of my house, I found out she was receiving $550 per month for our recently adopted daughter...TWO YEARS she was getting, now we're divorced and I'm in Hell!!
18 months ago, we adopted our 8 year old after fostering him for 18 months. He has mild Intellectual disability. In our state (AZ) Subsidy is determined by the needs of the child. After submitting paperwork documenting his special needs, we were approved for a “rate 2” and we get a subsidy of approximately $730 per month. Good luck and congratulations!
Advertisements