Advertisements
Advertisements
There is another thread on this topic - but I wanted to create a second, because I want to make sure my message is read:
I am creating this thread because again we are seeing an increase in the "ADOPTION IS NEVER A GOOD OPTION" posts and private messages.
Sharing your experience is one thing - telling someone else they will live to regret their decision is quite another.
This is a PRO-ADOPTION website - which means it's not for everyone. If you don't support adoption as a viable option for women experiencing an unplanned pregnancy, then maybe this isn't the site for you.
Coercion exists on both sides of the fence and recently the adoption naysayers are using our forums (and our Private Messaging system) as a tool to make women who are seeking information feel guilty about choosing a viable option that is available to them.
In unplanned pregnancy – there are THREE choices a woman must make. Once she has decided to continue her pregnancy to term, she has two left – those choices are parenting and adoption. Scaring women into making either decision is wrong and uncalled for.
Asking legitimate “Have you considered parenting? Why did you decide parenting wasn’t an option for you” type questions are totally in line with supporting a woman making a choice – telling a woman that she’ll be crippled with debilitating depression, her child will grow up to hate/resent her or worse, become some kind of axe murderer, if he isn’t killed by his adoptive parents first – is absolutely OUT OF LINE and will NOT be tolerated any longer.
Adoption is and will always be a very controversial topic that commands respectful interaction between sides that often don’t see eye to eye – but I am here to tell you – Adoption.com is no longer a viable battleground in which you can wage the war between “Us & Them”.
If you'd like to reply to this thread, you are welcome to do so - however, our stance on this issue is NOT up for debate.
=============================================
I am editing this post on 7/7/9 to add:
=============================================
In addition to the increased number of posts targeting women who are facing an unplanned pregnancy, we are also seeing a large number of anti-adoption posts from adopted adults on the forums. We have always encouraged our members to share their thoughts and feelings, as they relate to their own story - however, more and more, we are seeing posts that promote a strong 'adoption abolition' message.
Also, we are seeing an increase in the number of 'attacking posts' targeted to people who don't share opinions on a specific topic. These forums are here to foster discussion among the various sides of the triad - however, the expectation should be that respectful disagreement will happen and when it does, it is not necessary to continue to attempt to 'sway' the other side. This forum is unique in its ability to offer varying sides and varying stories with a strong sense of respect for each other, regardless of our opinions.
We really DO want to encourage our users to keep sharing their stories - however, keep in mind, the "Anti-Adoption" message is not welcome here and a pushed anti-adoption agenda can lead to moderator action.
Advertisements
Bumping because again, this has become an issue.
Adoption.com is Pro-Adoption - we support women being fully informed of their options and encourage users to support women investigating their options - beyond that (posts like "Adoption is bad!") we draw the line.
Advertisements
Listen folks - I know we all have opinions and we may or may not be happy with our personal experiences etc - however ADOPTION.COM is NOT the venue in which you can promote an anti-adoption agenda.
It's just NOT going to happen.
Advertisements
I am going to bump this up.
I am seeing a HUGE increase in the number of posts which are clearly anti-adoption.
As we've said, Adoption.com is PRO-ADOPTION and as such, we can and will remove the posts which aren't appropriate for this venue.
Adoption.com is a SAFE place for people who are touched by adoption to come and share their thoughts, feelings and stories without being attacked, ridiculed, degraded and made to feel like they’ve done something wrong, simply because they have a positive view of adoption.
Because this negative attitude seems to have permeated all corners of the forums, you leave us no choice but to take drastic measures, up to and including restricting access to certain forums and banning of accounts.
I will state again, Adoption.com is a PRO-ADOPTION website. Attacking, ridiculing, degrading, demoralizing and denouncing others in support of an anti-adoption agenda is not only not unappreciated, it is NOT allowed.
This has gone WELL beyond the typical sharing of personal feelings and has started to make a great number of our users feel uncomfortable.
If you have a question, feel free to send me a private message. Posts made to this thread debating this message will be deleted.
Those who are disregarding the purpose of this forum have really left us no choice – we’ve tried hard to allow for all sides and all opinions to share in a respectful manner – and that’s just not happening.
Bumping this up for the evening crowd. Again, I am happy to reply to respectful questions via Private Message - so feel free to send them if you have them.
I have edited the original post to include additional information. Please reread.
Amen.
You all should check out this website A Second Chance Adoption not Abortion as it talks a lot about this issue. It is a developing website that is for a good cause: educating people about adoption. You can share your stories and share the website in general to spread the word about adoption. Making a difference starts with us, so please pay some attention to this site and show some support. ESPECIALLY if you're Pro Life AND pro adoption. This is a website in which we can all join together to promote this amazing cause.
Last update on May 4, 2:33 pm by Miriam Gwilliam.
monicaruechel98@gmail.com
Amen.
You all should check out this website A Second Chance Adoption not Abortion as it talks a lot about this issue. It is a developing website that is for a good cause: educating people about adoption. You can share your stories and share the website in general to spread the word about adoption. Making a difference starts with us, so please pay some attention to this site and show some support. ESPECIALLY if you're Pro Life AND pro adoption. This is a website in which we can all join together to promote this amazing cause.
I thought I'd just draw your attention to something Brandy said:
In unplanned pregnancy there are THREE choices a woman must make. Once she has decided to continue her pregnancy to term, she has two left ֖ those choices are parenting and adoption. Scaring women into making either decision is wrong and uncalled for.
I tend to agree with Brandy that one choice needs to made first (to continue or not to continue) and then the next choice parenting vs adoption.
I personally feel uncomfortable about the promotion of abortion VS adoption NOT because I'm anti-adoption but because they should be two separate choice paths as noted above - one is a reproductive choice, the other is a parenting choice.
Thus the choices should be:
Continue/not continue pregnancy
AND THEN
Parenting/adoption.
I think the abortion vs adoption argument can be coercive in itself.
Last update on May 4, 2:34 pm by Miriam Gwilliam.
Advertisements
The reason this website is up isn't so much to talk about adoption vs. abortion--it's more to talk about adoption and the benefits of that as well as showing many pro choice people how all pro life people aren't just here to be in joke face yelling "keep the baby! Raise it on your own!" It's to draw attention to the fact that adoption is a very good option and to PROMOTE adoption as an option. Many people don't even consider it as an option because society mainly discusses abortion vs. raising the baby. This site isn't to debate--it's to discuss and educate people about adoption and maybe help expectant mothers to consider adoption as a choice for them.
Also, I enjoy that website because the first thing my bio dad went to was "I can take you to a clinic."
I don't care if they're two separate issues because this can go hand in hand. Helping people to view it as an issue between adoption and abortion teaches more people to realize that Pro Life people aren't trying to force expectant mothers to keep the babies. It shows another great option, one that Pro Life people should talk more about. Keep in mind that that website is a Pro Life website, and instead of trying to be in your face saying you need to keep the baby, it's trying to present another very good option to explain that being Pro Life doesn't mean we're trying to force people to be parents.
I also thought I would add that the most coercive Pro Life argument is that life begins at conception. That site is NOT a website for debating adoption and abortion--it's for educating about adoption from a pro life perspective. Contact the owner of the site directly if you wish to learn more about it