Advertisements
Advertisements
I've been very excited about my daughter's pending conversion - so much so that I realize I've been ignoring some practical concerns. To wit, what if my strong as an ox, stubborn as a mule, about to be 3-years old and not know for her reasonable ways daughter refuses to submerge in the mikveh? It's not like she's a pliable infant any more (as if she ever was). She's not afraid of water, or even of putting her face in the water, but she has been known to refuse to do things just on principle and she really doesn't like to be told what to do, and plus the unfamiliarity of the mikveh might make her clingy. I feel like I have to make it a fun game for her, and even then I'm expecting resistance.
Anyone have advice or experience to offer?
We were ablet to go in the mikvah with our children for their conversions (and, yes, we could wear bathing suits - unlike them!). We took their favorite pool toys with us. We had already been in "swim classes" (more like water-fun classes) for infant/parent and toddlers, so they were used to the idea of dunking underwater. When it came time for them to dunk, they just did it without a problem (but they were younger than your daughter). We were also able to go into the mikvah 15 minutes early to give them time to get used to it.
Try taking her to the pool and making a game where she dunks under to grab the toy - in return for which she gets a prize (or a kiss or whatever) and then just repeat the process in the mikvah.
Hope that helps!
Advertisements