Advertisements
Advertisements
Hey all!
There was this play I've always liked the name of...I don't know why.
Anyway, it's called Waiting for Godot. So the other night I was hanging out and I thought I'd research the play. (Uhmmm...no comments about my lack of social entertainment please). LOL!
Turns out it's about these two guys who meet by this tree waiting for this Godot person to show up to resolve their unresolved issues; answer their unanswered questions. So they stand by this tree for, like, ever....talking about dreams, boots, food, if they're in the right place, who Godot might be and what he'll do for them when he gets there, plus philosphy and a whole list of other things. Finally they get so desparate that Godot will never arrive that in their frustration they even contemplate suicide. But they decide to just keep waiting for Godot who never shows up.
I was really stunned after I read the overview of the play because that is sometimes what it's felt like, ya know? Waiting here for two people who may never show up. Talking, passing time, making friends, doubting myself, feeling bad, feeling good, feeling nothing, feeling stupid, feeling helpful, talking about food and philosphy and once a few weeks back being so low down on the depression scale that I actually thought it might be best to leave.
But I keep standing by the tree.
"Silence,is pouring into this play like water into a sinking ship"
Samuel Beckett on Waiting for Godot
Advertisements
I think a lot of our threads are "Godot's" threads!!
I guess the silver lining is that we're not standing alone at the base of the tree.
(((( My friends here ))))
You guys are so awesome!:love:
Thanks for understanding. And Kathy, as usual, you were right!!!
Oh and thanks you guys for not calling me a nerdski!:arrow:
Advertisements
Being a nerdski is relating adoption to a star trek episode. I'll have to think about that.
;-)
I thought you were going to say that they resolved them with each other without this Godot fellow. I think that without this site, I would have made many mistakes in my reunion with DD. I am so glad I found you all before I met her. It made it better for me. I think otherwise I might have crossed some boundaries that I was not aware of--but because of all of you I am now AWARE.. THanks!!
Janey, man, yeah, I remember that play and remember how I really couldn't figure it out (too "deep" for my pea brain! haha!). I think I read this around the same time as Sartre's play, "No Exit" which if you really want to depress yourself, dive on in!!
I am sorry you have been going thru a rough patch...You are in my thoughts!
I remember reading Waiting for Godot back in high school (a long long time ago), and many times I have thought my theme for the year 2008 was "Waiting for T..." (waiting for a response, any kind of response, from my half-sis).
Whether we are birthparents or adoptees, it sometimes seems that all we do is wait and wait and wonder... we each have our own tree...we are all players in the theater of the absurd...
Advertisements
Okay, okay, I feel totally stupid here -- I've never read or seen this play, so I have absolutely no idea on what it's all about. But it sounds like something I'd like to see.
Does anybody here remember a televised play from the late 1970's titled "Steambath"? I remember watching it with my dad, and both of us really enjoyed it. It was the interaction of two men in a steambath, one of them being God. And they talked about all the questions and strange situations found in life.
I have this book that I carry around in my head that I call "Questions I'd Like to Ask God". Whenever I come across strange, weird, or deep ideas, I think to myself, "that's a question I want to ask God". The book is getting pretty filled up now after 54 years, and new pages are added to it daily. So much of life is a mystery to me, but one day God and I will meet face to face...and I hope He can clue me in on what it was all about. :loveyou:
Hey guys!! :grouphug:
Quantum
Being a nerdski is relating adoption to a star trek episode.
Okay, bud. THIS I've got to hear about!! Please share. Inquiring minds want to know! :woohoo:
SStuart
I think that without this site, I would have made many mistakes in my reunion with DD. I am so glad I found you all before I met her.
You and TGMom are right. I'm glad we're all under the tree together!! I agree with you too (about finding everybody here)!! There is no way I could've done this stuff alone without the help and comfort of the good people who reside in this forum.:thanks: I hate to think what I would've been capable of doing to myself emotionally if I were left to my own devices. Ugh!!!
SoniaRose Well said!! :clap:
Ravensong
Whenever I come across strange, weird, or deep ideas, I think to myself, "that's a question I want to ask God"..... So much of life is a mystery to me, but one day God and I will meet face to face...and I hope He can clue me in on what it was all about.
I have this feeling that God has this real smart-alecky sense of humor and so everytime after we meet Him we ask Him a question, He answers with a question.
Here's how I picture it (me in italics)
God? I have a question.
"Yeah?"
Why did you create Beets?
"Why do you want to know?"
Because they suck.
"Why do you say that?"
"Have You ever TASTED a beet?
"Have you ever Tasted stinky fruit?"
"No."
"Well then why are you asking about beets?"
Etc., etc.
:evilgrin: :evilgrin: LOL!!
Regarding Steambath. I had never heard of it before but I looked it up on NetFlix. Here's the info in italics....
Steambath (1973)
Bill Bixby stars in this small-screen adaptation of Bruce Jay Friedman's off-Broadway play by the same name, the story of a group of dearly departed souls who sweat it out in a steam bath afterlife under the thumb of a towel boy God (Jos Prez). The play was considered controversial when it first premiered in the 1970s, mainly due to obscene language that was largely trimmed for the televised version.
Starring: Valerie Perrine, Jose Perez
Director: Not Available
Genre: Classics
Format: Full Screen ...
Language: English
Not rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Sounds like a cool movie!!!
Oh by the way ladies. My hubby just popped his head in and said that God is a guy. Therefore he's too busy to talk to a bunch of chicks.
:cowboy:
Hmmm.....now where did I leave my gun? LOL!!!
Ahh! Ok, you asked for it Janey....
Being a birthmother is sort of like Star Trek Voyager...
We are thrown into a situation where we feel out of control, forced to make difficult decisions (The crew was dragged into the Delta quadrant by an extremely powerful being, the Captain, a WOMAN horray, was forced to make the decision of saving an innocent race and thereby trapping her crew in the delta quadrant for decades, even generations). They then travel through the delta quadrant, making friends and enemies, trying to find their way home.
So if I were to stretch things...we are like Captain Janeway. We made the decision to relinquish, even though that put us in a situation of being so far from our children (home), and then spend the rest of our lives searching for our children...or finding ways to deal with the situation we're in.
Janey's Godot is WAY better! But I had to prove you werent a nerd buddy!
Advertisements
((( Quantum )))
You are so right!!!! We are all Captain Janeway aren't we?
:-)
I love Star Trek btw! Can't wait for the new movie!!
((( Quantum )))
You are so right!!!! We are all Captain Janeway aren't we?
I love Star Trek btw! Can't wait for the new movie!!