Advertisements
Advertisements
Ok my cousin's step daughter is a teacher and thinks she is a know it all (she teaches 2nd graders and does not have any children of her own). Anyway she was down for the holiday weekend visiting. Subject gets on about Giuseppa is still on a bottle (I am having a battle :cowboy: with this with DH...). MS. KNOW IT ALL TEACHER says....that is really bad it is known to cause speech impairment. This is also the same person that told me that Giuseppa is malnutritioned when I got home with her because her belly stuck out (Ran like a mad woman to Doctor to make sure all her blood work and information was right which of course she was WRONG). Now Giuseppa can :cheer: sing her ABCs, :cheer: count to 10 in English and Spanish and some Italian, :cheer: sings happy birthday in English and Spanish and says :cheer: 6-10 word sentences. NOW if that was the case how come there is not more cases of speech impairment out there. I have known kids on a bottle till they were 6 years old (GIUSEPPA :eyebrows: don't you DARE get any ideas) and not one of these children have speech impairment. Any experts out there can enlighten this for me please!!! I am still fuming...She makes me feel like a bad mother:hissy: when she makes comments like this and that I am endangering my child.
:thanks: in advance for all your wonderful help.
Rose
I am not an expert @ anything and know nothing. But my DD does use a sippy cup and I am currently trying to break her from that. She will probably start losing baby teeth in the next yr or 2 and I have heard that it is bad for their permant teeth if they still use a sippy cup.
But like you, I have heard lots of advice on what I should and shouldn't do.... But we all have to do what we think is right for our child. AND I am 100% confident you are doing exactly what is right!
Advertisements
There are so many schools of though on bottles as there are parenting styles. If advice had come from another parent, doctor or dentist then I would stop to think and consider, but unsolicited advice from someone who probably just read an article some I would take with a grain of salt. Sometimes people will chirp in on something so they feel like they are "in the know"
For me, I am a firm believer in off the bottle as soon as possible but that is easy for me to say cause I BFed 2 of my 3 so bottles have never ben a huge issue. One of the main reasons for nixing the bottle would be related to teeth and tooth decay.
I do understand that IA children might need to hang on to the bottle a little longer and sometimes it can become a problem and a battle. However your best bet is consider the source. She might teach kindergarten but she has no experience with babies.
EZ
Rose, please don't spend another minute or ounce of energy on this comment. Sure, everyone seems to have their own bit to add - to 'help' us with our parenting. Go with confidence, you are the mother. As Eleanor Roosevelt said ... it's true - I saw that quote on a poster when I was 23 and it's a mantra I repeat to myself if I am feeling bad about something. She appears to be a know-it-all and probably would be teacher or not. I would have been quite happy for DS to continue his bottle until I don't know when but his ped told me he should be off by 12-14 months. At DS's daycare he could not move up to the next (toddler) room until he was off the bottle - sippy cup was fine - bottle no. I was more concerned with stopping the ear infections and preventing tooth decay. Guiseppa looks perfect to me!
rapf777
...she teaches 2nd graders and does not have any children of her own...
Nobody knows more about parenting than people without any kids.
I like to use my stock "thanks, I'll look into that" response most of the time. The exception is if I happen to know some of the details of what they're expounding upon. Then I launch into a nice, long, dry dissertation on the subject. That's the surest way of guaranteeing they'll never again give you any parenting suggestions. You'll get a reputation for acting like Cliff Clavin at parties, but only among people you don't want to talk to anyway.
Whipping out a HUGE stack of photos and telling a story with lavish details over every single one of them is another good way to keep people from ever mentioning your kids again.
JGarrick
Whipping out a HUGE stack of photos and telling a story with lavish details over every single one of them is another good way to keep people from ever mentioning your kids again.
I am laughing loudly at this. What a great idea. I think I could be very good at this. :clap: Bernie
Advertisements
Sounds like she needs to have a bottle stuck in her mouth :eyebrows: ;) I breastfed my triplets, no bottles, and one of them had a speech problem, so her theory is out the window!! My mom always said, when a person has to try so hard to prove themselves it usually isn't true. Sounds like Ms. know it all is a "want a be" know it all. I would take her with a grain of salt. Consider the source :eyebrows:
ROFL ROFL That was funny! Anna
MamaS
Spiderman had a bottle every night until about three and a half. When he stopped having a bottle, he started talking NONSTOP, 24/7 and has continued to do so.
So she is right, as long as there is a bottle in her mouth, she isn't talking! Why not offer SIL a bottle too?
rapf777
Ok my cousin's step daughter is a teacher and thinks she is a know it all (she teaches 2nd graders and does not have any children of her own). Anyway she was down for the holiday weekend visiting. Subject gets on about Giuseppa is still on a bottle (I am having a battle :cowboy: with this with DH...). MS. KNOW IT ALL TEACHER says....that is really bad it is known to cause speech impairment. This is also the same person that told me that Giuseppa is malnutritioned when I got home with her because her belly stuck out (Ran like a mad woman to Doctor to make sure all her blood work and information was right which of course she was WRONG). Now Giuseppa can :cheer: sing her ABCs, :cheer: count to 10 in English and Spanish and some Italian, :cheer: sings happy birthday in English and Spanish and says :cheer: 6-10 word sentences. NOW if that was the case how come there is not more cases of speech impairment out there. I have known kids on a bottle till they were 6 years old (GIUSEPPA :eyebrows: don't you DARE get any ideas) and not one of these children have speech impairment. Any experts out there can enlighten this for me please!!! I am still fuming...She makes me feel like a bad mother:hissy: when she makes comments like this and that I am endangering my child.
:thanks: in advance for all your wonderful help.
Rose
Don't worry about the bottle! I never even had a GOAL to stop the bottle until close to two & I know plenty of people who bre*stfeed for much longer. I don't see the difference......as long as she is growing & happy-do what you want/think she needs! :grouphug:
I have a special, yet simple technique that I reserve for busybodies like this. I call it "N & S"- as in "nod and smile". As they spew their unsolicited and unwanted advice, I nod and smile- when they are done, I instantly forget whatever nonsense came out of their mouths and walk away happily rolling my eyes. I have gotten quite good at this technique because the world is full of busybodies and I get to practice it quite often! LOL
Advertisements
For me I would look at her intentions. Is it possible that she was saying it out of care and concern? Sometimes when people are taught something in a class (like she aparrently was) they take that as 100% fact. Then they have kids...
Or she could have been saying it to be rude. I know when something is a sensitive subject already it can sound like the person is questioning our parenting abilities but maybe she just really wanted to make sure that you knew it could cause speech delay.
I know I have heard MANY experienced speech pathologists say that having a bottle in your mouth all day (or even a sippy cup) can cause speech delay because of where your tongue has to rest while sucking.
But when you have kids of your own you have to weigh the pros and cons and do what is best for YOUR family. If the bottle comforts her then who cares?
I dont have a bottle issue but my kid and my family are sorta on a later schedule(OK we ARE on a later schedule). Whenever we see my FIL's girlfriend(My MIL is deceased) she is always telling us that it's no good and our kid should be in bed. It does drive me mad! I dont want to be rude so I just kinda shrug it off(and of course she brings it up again the next time) etc etc and it's a never ending cycle. But I just dont want to do battle with her.
I understand fully,
Amy K, NJ
I will answer to her:
oh yes her speech impairment is very advance, she can sing and count in three languages, can you by that age? and have sentences of 6 to 10 words. So i'm not worry about it! Please don't worry for us you already have a lot of children to be worry !
Dickons
Her comment is based on current opinion.
[URL="http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/articles/other/otitis_19/"]Other: Bottle Feeding And Ear Infections - A Formula For Disaster?[/URL]
Kind regards,
Dickons
In the Hispanic community (I live in Miami) children stay on the bottle well beyond what is considered "appropriate" by the American pediatric community. There has been no study to suggest that Hispanic children have a higher prevalence of speech related disorders than caucasian children of non-Hispanic descent.
People with no children are such "good" parents, aren't they? I was too before I had kids. ;-)
Advertisements
I am Guatemalan and I can tell you that children are kept on a bottle much longer (I was almost 4). No one in my very large family has any speech problems even though we were all on a bottle until atleast the age of 3.
My son Cristian will be 2 a week from today, and I am not pushing him to leave the bottle. He does not like milk out of any cup. I think that it is a comfort thing for him and I am fine with it! I take good care of his teeth just like my mom did with mine.
Hang in there, and FYI I am a a teacher and I disagree with her comment to you.
What is best for one child may not be for another. So, keep trusting YOUR insticts!!!!!
Well.... she is correct.... for some children, having a bottle later can impede speech. It just so happens that it doesn't apply to your child but be sure to tell her that you will share that information with anyone you meet that has a child on the bottle with a speech problem.
Now, I do have to take issue with one comment (that everyone seems to be agreeing with). Just because someone doesn't have a child doesn't mean they can't have experience and understanding beyond your own.
My best friend has no children (yet) but was a pediatric recreational therapist for many years. She has great insight and tips. My sister has great parenting ideas for a 27 year old "kid" with no children of her own.
I also know parents of many children (both birth & adopted) who's advice I'd never take.