Advertisements
Advertisements
We are currently foster to adopt and adopt only parents. We work with sib groups. Due to a recent incident, we are wanting to transfer our foster care license to a private agency, we currently work for the county.
However, I cannot get a straight answer about the adoption side of things. We have been having our county adoption worker send our homestudy on sib groups we are interested in. The two agencies I've talked to can handle adoption of children in our care, but not straight adoption. Does anyone know if I can maintain my adopt license with the county while transferring my foster license to a private agency? Or do I need to find a separate agency that deals with foster adoptions only? I can't seem to find any agencies in my area that do that, however.
Any advice is welcomed!
You should definitely post this on the fost/adopt board.
I don't believe you can seperate your foster care license from your adoption license. They are a unit. Even if you are selected for a sibling group that are legally free, you would still have to foster them until the adoption paperwork is finished. In CA, even if the child/ren are legally free you still have to foster them for six months before you can adopt. I know each state has different timelines.
I definitely would not transfer your license while you have kids in the house, whose adoptions are not finalized. I know a couple who just spent quite a bit of money and really fight to get their kids back because while transfering their license from a private agency to DCF, DCF took their daughters because they "didn't have a license."
I would finalize your children's adoption, then look into switching to a private agency.
I hope this helps.
Advertisements
We don't currently have any non-finalized kiddos in our home, in fact the agencies I've been talking to have asked that question first. The issue is, at the private agencies, they don't have someone that sends out the homestudies to other states for adoptive placements - they place strictly from calls from local DCFS. So that's what I'm confused about - I have 2 separate homestudies now - foster and adopt. I have 2 separate workers now - foster and adopt. But at the therapeutic private agencies, they only can handle the foster care side of things, NOT the adopt. I realize I would need to foster prior to finalization, but I'm confused as to how the communication would happen.
hockeywoman
We don't currently have any non-finalized kiddos in our home, in fact the agencies I've been talking to have asked that question first. The issue is, at the private agencies, they don't have someone that sends out the homestudies to other states for adoptive placements - they place strictly from calls from local DCFS. So that's what I'm confused about - I have 2 separate homestudies now - foster and adopt. I have 2 separate workers now - foster and adopt. But at the therapeutic private agencies, they only can handle the foster care side of things, NOT the adopt. I realize I would need to foster prior to finalization, but I'm confused as to how the communication would happen.
My private agency works like this, they place kids from DCF for either foster or fost/adopt. (I'm not sure if they place for kids out of state.) So this means I have a SW that is from my agency and my daughter had a CW. My SW came twice a month for visits, handled all my needs and I gave her all the paperwork, which she in turn would give to the CW, who only visited once a month. Because I was my daughter's pre-adoptive home, she also had an adoption worker. This change of command continued throughout the entire placement until it was time to sign adoption placement papers.
When I signed placement papers, my SW and the adoption worker were present and our case was officially back in the hands of DCF. It was then up to the adoption worker to come out for visits, she usually just sent out the CW. The monthly visits continued until finalization.
I would ask the private agency if something similiar occurs with them when a foster case turns into an adoptive one.
Also I know tons of families that called CWs themselves about children they saw on websites. Would the private agency be willing to submit your homestudy if you do all the legwork? I'm sure you know CWs are known for not returning calls, particularly when the case would turn into one where ICPC is involved. It seems they hate that and some don't even know how to do it.