Advertisements
Advertisements
My first post!
I just found this board and it seems like there is lots of experience here. I hope someone can help.
We are seriously considering adopting from Russia, but it's early days for us and I don't know anyone personally who has already gone through this experience.
I've heard that Russian medical requirements (on the parents) are quite strict, and I wondered if we would be ruled out because my husband has had long-term mild fibromyalgia (AKA Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). Of course we are praying this is not the case! He is otherwise in excellent health and works full time, needing no day to day assistance. His life expectancy is normal. However...... he does take a low daily dose of a psychotropic drug to help manage his main symptoms. This drug is also proscribed to people with anxiety problems (but in a higher dose).
Will this be really frowned upon? I think that on paper it might look worse than it is. Also his medical file is pretty fat because he went through a lot of procedures trying to rule out other problems (none found) before the diagnosis. Will Russian courts want to see it all?
I am in excellent health and have had no past health problems. We are both non-smokers and with normal BMI.
We have talked about it and he is prepared to come off the drug IF necessary, trying a natural remedy instead. But would his use of it in the past still be a problem?
I'd really appreciate any wisdom, good or bad news, it's definitely better we find out early. Maybe I'm over-worrying.
Thanks!
Helene
Hello and Welcome!
You state you are in the early stages of considering adopting from Russia. If you have an agency, have you inquired with them? Has an internet search brought up any information? If neither to the above, stay tuned here. I'm sure you will get replies back.
Hope all works out for you and DH. Good Luck!
Advertisements
Thanks so much for your answers. I do feel slightly reassured that we aren't wasting our time to even be hoping for this.
In reply to first poster - internet searches have come up with quite vague requirements, and a few mentions that Russia is strict, and a few saying psychotropic drugs (anything associated with anxiety or depression even if not prescribed for those reasons) are a no no... hence the concern.
But I'm hopeful having read the last post.
We don't have an agency yet, as I said, very early day. I'll make sure we ask about this at the start though, and maybe its a case of going through a good doctor who understands the nuances and will support us?
I'm going to stick around here and pick up advice and hope to speak to others who've done this, if that is okay!
We're in UK by the way, not US. But I'm sure it doesn't make any difference in terms of health requirements.
Thanks again for your advice.
Very best wishes.
x
Hi Helene, you're more than welcome to stick around, you will find this group an excellent source of information and support. I am also in England, Leicestershire, I just recently moved back. Looking forward to having you on board.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. We just got back with our daughter this past Saturday and there was a much older couple traveling with us, one of whom had some pretty extensive health problems and they were fine. You just need to make sure you can get a doctor here to be very specific and downplay any diagnoses your husband might have.