Advertisements
Advertisements
Today is Lorelei's fourth birthday and our family is still in shock. Back in 2005 we were advised to abort Lorelei. I remember Steve and I asking the geneticist and MFM if she would be in any pain when she was born if they determined that she was inoperable. The answer was no and so we knew we had to meet our little angel. (At the time they thought she had Trisomy).
She has been the inspiration for so many good things. Steve and I have really bonded together and Cavan, her older brother, is so much more empathetic to other children with special needs. We've been blessed with being able to help military families with special needs and children in war torn, 2nd and 3rd world countries receive the medical care they desperately need. All because a little girl came into our lives four (really almost five) years ago and made us realize that commitment is so much bigger than a contract or agreement. It's about love and compassion.
People look at us like we're crazy when I tell them what we've been through. I remember when Lorelei was having significant cardiac issues and was up at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Steve went septic after his second surgery on his crushed leg and was flown into Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston near San Antonio and was on top of the world because I knew it was going to be okay. My friend Michelle drove the 2.5 hours to see my husband so he wouldn't be alone while Cavan stayed with my amazing parents and I was with Lorelei while my friend Jeanne and her kids took care of the pets. This has happened over and over. Even the phone calls! I love the messages we get in the hospital. How inspiring to have Quincy Collins, a national hero, call to say how brave Lorelei is when he suffered through seven and a half years in a POW camp during Vietnam. How could I not feel blessed? My friends are my family and my family are my friends. You all are the reason why we've come so far. It is an amazing feeling. It puts meaning into life.
I love Lorelei with all my heart, so much so that now we are strongly considering adopting a child with a similar heart condition from China. The idea resounded in my heart and it seems to be having the same affect on Steve. We want to love another child, give another child a chance at life, and we would be honored for that child to love us as much as we would love him or her. I don't think that would even be a consideration without Lorelei. She has brought so many people hope, love, compassion, inspiration.
Happy Birthday, baby.
Love,
Mommy
Advertisements