Advertisements
Advertisements
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]My DS has JIA aka JRA (juvenile rheumatoid arthritis) and has trouble walking distances. So, we still use his stroller but he is growing out of it at almost 6 years old. He is a thin guy (only about 37/38 pounds) but he is pretty tall. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I've started looking for 'big kid' strollers but am clueless as to where to really look other than looking at regular stroller sites. And that is overwhelming.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Any ideas? [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Thanks![/FONT]
Such an interesting discussion... my son has destroyed two strollers (ahem) and we are looking for something sturdier for a bigger kid. He is perfectly capable of walking... but due to his autism, poor gait and sensory issues when we are in crowded public places a stroller is the only way and will be for quite some time, I'm afraid!
Advertisements
Here is a picture of my DD in our Maclaren. To give you an idea of the size, my son standing next to her is 43 inches tall. She is about 46 inches and weighes about 40 pounds. The stroller goes up to 110 pounds and it comes with a 5 point harness.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Thanks! Great family shot!! Your DD is about the same size as DS...he was...finally after having what was most likely the 'swine' flu in early July...all the way back up to 38 pounds this morning. LOL! I really like the look of that stroller.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I am taking your advice and starting the process for the stroller later this month...I have to go to the pedi for DD's annual check up and a strep recheck. So I'll have the pedi refer us to the physical therapist to get her input. Our pedi says she always does this...does that sound normal? [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I decided to do this because even though we were supposed to start the Enbrel on July 27th (with weekly injections) we have yet to start it. First two weeks were insurance/pharmacy issues...this week we have to make certain he hasn't gotten strep from DD. With the Enbrel, even if it works, the chance for infection is great so he can't take it if there is any sign/chance for infection.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Thanks again...it really helps...I would have never thought to get thru the insurance and we don't have an extra $400-$600 just sitting around these days.[/FONT]
athikers
Such an interesting discussion... my son has destroyed two strollers (ahem) and we are looking for something sturdier for a bigger kid. He is perfectly capable of walking... but due to his autism, poor gait and sensory issues when we are in crowded public places a stroller is the only way and will be for quite some time, I'm afraid!
Have you tried a weighted vest for this little guy... it can make a HUGE difference with behaviors at home and in public, especially if he has sensory issues there are a couple websites you can visit that have these is you want to private message me later.
Totally agree on the weighted vest for sensory issues. Those things make me want to stare calmly ahead while someone takes care of my needs. Its so weird how much something so simple can do for a kid!
Advertisements
I just now saw these responses (i'm not in this section much, OBVIOUSLY!!). My son HATES weighted vests. He did like his weighted blanket for a couple weeks, but then wanted nothing to do with it. His compression vest still works okay though :) He's a tough nut to crack as far as his SPD, he is currently seeing the best therapist in our region with nearly ZIPPO results. I'm sad for him, as I really thought she would be able to help us.
And on the original topic, that Maclaren looks good :) I see one in our future! Right now we are using a jogger for him, which works really well with a very sturdy footrest for his restless little feet and wheels that can go on trails, or pavement or snow very easily :)
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]We opted to not get the Major and DS was approved through the insurance for a Convaid wheelchair but right now we can't afford our portion (was almost $800 but now in the new year since our deductible is not met...we would pay almost the full $4000+.) [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I am in the works to get one donated to us through someone on another site. If that doesn't work out we'll try again through our insurance once we meet the deductible. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]He can still fit in his old stroller thankfully...we used that when we went to Disney and it was fine. [/FONT]
Revivng this a bit. We have a Convaid stroller chair through insurance and the Major, I definately prefer the Major. You can probably get it cheaper than your insurance co-pay. Personally, if I was going to have only one, I would want the Major.
I have been looking for something that can handle rougher terrain for a couple of years. They are all massively expensive (like 4K). I just bought a Chariot Cougar. It looks like a bike trailer with a bubble type top (and can actually be used as one). Goes up to 75 pounds. Its safe for DD to use because her legs are inside the bubble. I am pretty happy with it!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Thanks..I'll have to check it out. We got a 'regular' wheelchair donated to us...but DS hates it. My DH finally got a good job with great benefits so I just started the process with his insurance...but they only cover the most basic (cheapest) one. But with his other 'issues' I am hoping we can get one of the more 'stroller-y' types.[/FONT]
Advertisements
We just bought Abbie an EIO Special Tomato stroller/push chair. I LOVE it! It only weighs 22 pounds and folds compact. It's so much easier than her Zippie Iris wheelchair. It's good for positioning too. And will hold up to 90 pnds. Great thing is, we got it for about 50% off.
[url=http://www.adaptivemall.com/sptoeiopuch.html?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4d4cc8ca7fe47114%2C0]Special Tomato EIO Push Chair | Adaptivemall.com[/url]
Lylac, I was REALLY thinking of getting this one. The only thing that held me back is that it does not have an umbrella fold, so I didn't know that it would be that much different than her Convaid stroller type chair. Of course, the one I got does not fold at all! But I love, love, love the functionality of this thing. I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to do outdoors stuff with her again.
This is what I have. You can even put skis on it!
[url=http://chariotcarriers.com/english/html/cougar.php?flaID=360]Chariot Carriers: Bike Trailers, Jogging Strollers and more, for bicycle riders and joggers[/url]
We continue to use a standard jogger stroller for Tucker. He's just now getting too big for it, we've probably got one more summer before we need to find something bigger. Problem is that with his LACK of physical issues I'm certain we will have to pay for it ourselves. Bummer!
Remember to check ebay and Craigs list. You can often get used wheelchairs and such cheaper.
Advertisements
My DS used a Maclaren for about 2 years before being fitted for his first wheelchair at age 4. I loved the Maclaren because it was lightweight and transported easily. But what was most useful.....my DS used a custom made insert due to CP issues and he was able to use the insert outside of the maclaren. We could strap the insert to a kitchen chair (he was to big for a highchair) and also use the insert for playtime (my DS could not sit up unassisted) as time went on his insert was modified to include a tray that slid on to hold his toys. As well we used the tray for communication...., images indicating drink, food, music, dance, storytime (it took my DS a bit longer to talk, make eyecontact, read social cues due to visual impairments....).
I remember my DS liking the maclaren with the insert because he was much more comfortable, was able to go more places, and was able to chose the fabric that wrapped the insert (thanks to Shriners) which matched his foot orthotics :eyebrows:
The insert may be beyond what your child needs but the maclaren will certainly hold his weight. It is also possible that foot plates could be added to the frame. That may make it a bit more comfortable since your DS is pretty tall and may alievate some pressure from having his limbs dangle. His P/T and O/T should be very helpful in this area. Good luck!
Next on my list is finding some sort of seating for the table that works. Right now we have a Rifton like chair but its not gonna work much longer and it really needs some sort of footrest. DD's feet turn purple if we eat dinner to slow!